jealousy wears a green mask (7)

James had known coming in that this party was not going to be his best night. He had known it when he had woken up this morning. He had known it when Remus reminded him, again, that he would have to smile and be polite to whatever slime rag Lily had on her arm. Even if it was a Slytherin. Even if it was Voldemort himself. He would have to be polite and charming because that would be the only way to show Lily that he really was mature and good and right for her. It didn't matter, Remus had reminded him in kind, slow words, if James broke every statue in the corridor after being polite, that was fine as long as James was able to keep up the pretense long enough to convince Lily.

So James had known when he left his dormitory with Peter that this night was going to be rough. Even meeting his date, Marlene, on the landing did nothing to assuage his sadness. In fact, if not for a sharp elbow in the gut from Peter, James wouldn't have even thought to tell Marlene she looked pretty. Telling a girl she looked pretty at the start of all dates was one of the most important of the Marauders' lady rules, and James had never forgotten it before. Marlene did look stunning, dressed as an eagle in a skirt made of feathers and she had taken James' demeanor in stride. They had entered the hall together to find the party already going. James had, as was appropriate, offered her a dance.

They were the first two on the dance floor but, being Head Boy and a Marauder, James was used to being one of the first on the dance floor. Within a few eight-counts they were surrounded by other students in varying degrees of inappropriate attire. James and Marlene danced for three whole songs without talking. The music was good, but James tried not to acknowledge it even to himself. Acknowledging the music was good would make him think about Lily and how she had insisted it would be. Thinking of the redhead made James bite his lip in frustration and then swivel his head around, just one more time, to see if she had arrived yet. Nearly everyone else he could think of was there. Even Remus and Mary had arrived, though from where James wasn't sure, as he hadn't seen the doors open in a while. They were standing beside the punch, looking fairly intently at the floor. James shook his head to himself; it made very little sense why they had come together at all. He wasn't sure who else Remus might've wanted to ask but surely Mary should have come with... come to that, where was Sirius?

James scanned the room one more time but couldn't find the other boy anywhere and something kicked in his stomach. Sirius had been acting so off lately, missing the start of the party was just another example. He should have been creating a new dance move, or begging Remus to let him spike the punch with contraband firewhiskey. He should have been tailing Mary around the room and begging her for a dance, especially in that dress. James blinked as it hit him that he didn't even know who Sirius was taking to the dance. He had asked of course, but... James had been so self-focused on Lily that asking Sirius about his date had been more of a matter of politeness than actual interest so when Sirius had put off talking about it James had been only too happy to let him. And he had heard Sirius rehearsing apologies... he'd assumed at the time that Sirius had just destroyed one of his possessions or abused the cloak but...

"James, are you okay?" Marlene's voice cut through his thoughts and he realized that he'd been swiveling his head back and forth in an almost manic pattern. Some of the fourth years nearest them were mimicking him, clearly thinking that this was the latest Marauder move.

He blinked and shook his head, "Marlene," James asked slowly, "do you know who Sirius is taking as his date tonight?"

Marlene blinked back and raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow, "Uh, no, not really, isn't he your best mate?"

James swore, "No, yes, I mean, I should know but, I don't. He's been acting odd lately, never around and..." James trailed off as his eyes caught sight of sparks shooting beneath the doors. That was a Marauder sign.