The first time James told Lily she loves him

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

didn't think he could ever get used to it. The way she walked next to him without running off and talked to him without her usual glare. But James liked it. And that's all that mattered. Moony kept telling him how lucky he was to have a girl like Lily. One that still challenged him and called him out and felt no shame in insulting him if he deserved it even though they were dating. James kept telling him he knew.

"What do you think this is about?" Lily asked quietly as the Head Boy and Girl walked to the Headmaster's office. From an outside perspective, Lily looked like her usual confident self, head up, eyes ahead, and a brisk stride that had 'get out of my way' written all over it. But she was biting her fingernails. No matter how she tried, the minute her nails went to her teeth, James knew she was nervous.

"I don't know." He blew out a deep breath. "It could be anything, really."

"Have you done anything lately you haven't told me about?" Lily suddenly turned to her boyfriend accusingly.

James held up his hands in defense. "Whoa, there," he said. "I've literally been an angel since Kettleburn threatened to keep me out of the match last week." James had accidentally knocked down some of the gates around the Professor's outside classroom while chasing a loose snitch. The result, which was the Fourth Year's flobberworms escaping into the Forbidden Forest, had left Kettleburn less than pleased.

A moment of silence passed between them as Lily unfurled the parchment in her hand and reread the cryptic writing for the thousandth time since they had received it yesterday afternoon. James had already memorized the words.

To the Head Boy and Head Girl,

I request an audience in my office tomorrow night at 11 p.m. You are to tell no one of your visit and arrive quietly. The password is 'Jelly Slugs'.

Dumbledore

"Why would Dumbledore call us so secretly?" Lily wondered out loud as the signature stone gargoyle appeared in sight. "And why wouldn't he sign more formal? We are just students."

"Could be he just wants to update us on some new school policy," James suggested with a shrug though he knew as well as she did that this wasn't the typical meeting.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Don't be so unimaginative, James."

He snorted. "You're using plenty enough imagination for the both of us, thank you very much." For a moment, Lily shot him a glare. But unlike in years past, it suddenly melted into a genuine smile and James grinned at her.

"Jelly Slugs," Lily instructed the gargoyle as they arrived. A moment's pause as the word hung in the air and then suddenly the grotesque statue stepped aside, revealing a staircase that the two Gryffindors took with an unfounded feeling of trepidation.

James was the one who knocked on the door as he took the stairs two at a time, leaving Lily behind him. He was much more acquainted with the Headmaster's office than Lily due to his years of mischief and marauding. So when the door swung open, James made his way through without the hesitation of his girlfriend. He noticed that Lily still couldn't help but look around in wonder as she followed him inside and James smiled.

Dumbledore was nowhere to be found and as Lily obediently took a seat, James wandered over to where the Headmaster's phoenix, Fawkes, sung softly on his perch. With a grin, James scratched the bird's head as Fawkes cawed appreciatively.

"Isn't that the most beautiful thing you've ever heard," he smiled as Fawkes sang out again.

"James," Lily hissed. "You shouldn't touch his things."