The first time lily forgave james

Disclaimer: written by @junebug167

It was the time of night in the Gryffindor Common Room when most Fifth Years closed their books, packed up their bags and headed up to their dorms for a night of exhausted sleep, only to get up and do it all again in the morning. It was the year of their O.W.L.S. and no amount of work seemed to slow the ever-growing pile of essays and exams that were evident on the face of every Fifth Year. It was only March but the workload was already insurmountable. The professors, however, were seemingly unmoved by the dark circles under every eye and the yawns in every classroom. Hardly a night passed where a huddle of Fifth Years couldn't be seen in the Common Room or the library, looks of determination on their faces as they practically pressed their noses to their books.

In Lily's opinion, the only amusement to be gained from the whole ordeal was the terrified looks on the faces of Fourth Years every time someone broke down in tears. Most of the younger students had begun avoiding Gryffindor tower, opting for the Great Hall or the lake as the day of the exams grew ever closer. With a sigh, Lily allowed her gaze to slip from Achievements in Charming and glance around the almost empty Common Room with exhaustion. Flitwick had assigned them a roll of parchment on Cheering Charms for tomorrow, pointedly ignoring the groans that rose from both Hufflepuff and Gryffindor alike as his voice squeaked out the directions.

"Well, I think that's it for tonight." Frank Longbottom closed his book opposite her with a grimace. "Merlin knows I have yet to finish Slughorn's essay and Flitwick's assignment on Cheering Charms but I cant take one more word."

Lily managed a weak smile. "I finished the Potions essay. It's not too bad. You could probably finish it in Transfiguration tomorrow if you look over mine at breakfast."

"And risk McGonagall giving me a week's worth of detention?" Frank swept his books and quills into an empty satchel and attempted a chuckle. "That'll put me even farther behind. Nah, I think I'll just take the late assignment." He glanced at his watch and gave a low whistle. "11:20. Time for me to get to bed."

Lily sighed as Frank heaved his bulging bag over his shoulder and cringed under the weight. "Blimey, if the work doesn't kill me, the books sure will," he attempted to joke as he trotted towards the staircase. "You coming up yet?"

"Not yet," Lily told him, eyeing the books in front of her with distaste. "I still haven't finished Defense Against the Dark Arts. And don't forget Transfiguration."

Frank gave her a disapproving look. "Lily, you're going to run yourself ragged if you keep doing this."

"What?" she insisted. "I'm doing fine. Plus, these essays aren't going to write themselves. Someone needs to do them."

"What you need is sleep," Frank told her gently. "You're the first person up in the morning and the last one to bed at night. Even Alice is getting worried about you."

"Tell Alice that she has far too much to worry about to stick me in there too," Lily said kindly. "I know how far I can be pushed."

"Okay," Frank said uncertainly, glancing towards the stairwell. "Just...be careful, alright?"

Lily smiled. "Don't worry about me, Frank. I'll be fine."

"If you say so," he said with a yawn, rubbing his eyes with his free hand. "But if you end up in the Hospital Wing due to exhaustion, I hope you know that I expect to be completely free of blame."

"Of course," she chuckled, waving him off. "Go get your sleep. Merlin knows you have a girlfriend to worry about on top of this."

Frank managed to laugh. "Alright then. Goodnight Lils. Don't stay up too much longer."