The first time lily told james she was pregnant

Disclaimer: written by @junebug617

THE FIRST TIME...Lily Confessed She Was Pregnant.

"Thanks for coming with me." Lily smiled at Sirius as the two crunched through the snow.

"No problem."

It was cold outside. Lily could hear the wind howl its lonesome song, whistling through the now barren trees. All around, snowflakes the size of knuts fell softly on her nose, melting into drops of water before she could wipe them away. It looked peaceful if you didn't know any better. But if one thing was certain, Lily did know better.

She was more than aware that beyond the safety of the darkened forest and its softly falling snow, Voldemort's Death Eaters were on the move. Somebody somewhere was being tortured. Or murdered. The thought made Lily nauseous.

"So why are we going to a muggle gro-what is it called again? A grovery store?" Sirius asked, stamping past cottages covered in white.

"A grocery store," Lily corrected with a laugh.

"I knew that," Sirius muttered.

"Come on," she pulled him along. "Its not much farther."

They were nineteen years old. Young, by most people's standards. But Lily already felt as though she'd survived a long life. Some days she felt she should be sitting in a rocking chair with her grandchildren around her, knitting scarves and hats for the cold winter. Lily had seen the worst life had to offer. And the best. It was the most anyone her age could hope for in a time as dark as this. She had seen the innocent die, the loyal turn traitor, and the strongest fall apart. But within the desperation and despair wartime brought, Lily also discovered just how powerful love could be. Love and friendship.

For whenever dark thoughts strayed her way, she had James's arms to warm her, Sirius's laugh to make her smile, and Remus's kindness to lift her spirits. Though she rarely saw Peter these days, he too, could still bring a tug to Lily's heart when he visited. Always so nervous and hesitant about even using their bathroom, Lily had grown fond of the forgotten Marauder. She had grown fond of all of them. It was the curse of marrying James she supposed as Sirius tramped alongside her. It was as if she had married four men in one.

"I hope what you're getting is worth it," Sirius grumbled as the grocery store came into view. "Its dangerous being out in these times."

"It's a muggle grocery store on New Year's Eve, Sirius," Lily pointed out. "There will be dozens of people here. I promise, this is the last place Death Eaters will look for us."

"Well I wouldn't count on that," Sirius remarked bitterly. "But if you insist."

"All I need is some buttercream frosting, pickles, and lots of Mars Bars."

Sirius looked at her, one eyebrow raised. "What could you possibly need those for?"

Lily blushed. "I'm craving it."

"Oh Lily," Sirius managed a bemused smile. "You truly are one of the strangest people I know."

A warm gust of air blew from the entrance of the supermarket as the sliding glass doors slid open. As Lily had predicted, they were not the only one's within the day before New Years. The whole store was bustling with carts piled with last minute boxes and bags.

Though the mood was slightly dampened from what Lily typically considered New Years, she knew the muggles were experiencing far less anxiety than everyone else in the Wizarding World. Hype about Voldemort was mounting each day and though they could sense that things were not all right in England, the muggles were still generally unaware of the impending darkness closing in around them.