Lily evans and her insecurities

Disclaimer: written by @MoonStone

"Oooooh look," came a sneer from behind Lily as she walked down the hall to the Common Room after her last lesson, "it's mudblood Evans."

Lily growled but continued walking, pausing only to retort back.

"Just shove it Black!"

She continued walking until she felt a blast on her back, sending her hurling into the air and then soaring downwards with a thud.

Automatically the hallway cleared and everyone pushed themselves and each other against the wall, leaving only Bellatrix Black, Lily and her best friend Emma Jannison in the middle.

Lily looked up, through her red hair as she lay on her stomach, gradually trying to prop herself up by her hands.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do, mudblood!" she hissed threateningly, her wand pointing at Lily.

"Shut it Black," Emma hissed, helping Lily up. Lestrange snickered.

"Well looks like miss Head Girl mudblood can't take care of herself," she sneered.

Lily growled.

"Oh I can take care of myself Black," she hissed, blowing hair away from her face.

Bellatrix laughed out loud again.

"Oh really?" she drawled, "Well why don't you fight back?"

Lily narrowed her eyes as she clutched her wand tighter in her pocket.

"Because Black," she snapped, "I happen to be mature enough not to start a stupid little fight like this and mature enough not to continue one."

Bellatrix rolled her eyes.

"Mature?" she scoffed, "a mudblood like you can up rise to maturity when I actually decide to sleep with one of you!"

She turned to the people behind her and grinned.

"Wouldn't you agree?"

An uproar of agreement sounded from her Slytherin friends that stood behind her. She turned back to Lily.

"Know what I think mudblood?" she drawled. Lily inhaled sharply.

"I think you're scared," Bellatrix continued, grinning evilly, "you're scared because you're boyfriend Potter isn't here to protect you. He's off playing Quidditch! Of course that's what he'd do when he's going out with a filthy ugly mudblood like you."

Lily ground her teeth as she took a fleeting glance to the field where the Gryffindor team were practicing.

"Yes," Bellatrix leered as she caught Lily's glance, "look over there. There's Potter! Not caring about you at all is he?"

Lily rolled her eyes.

"That was the stupidest comment you idiotic Slytherins have come up with yet!" she snorted, "maybe next week you'll actually have something so stupid that people will actually care to listen, for a laugh."

A silence rang out as a few people suppressed their snorts. Bellatrix's face contorted slightly and lifted her wand up an inch.

"You," she hissed, "have to learn to respect your superiors!"

Lily opened her mouth to speak but was stopped when Bellatrix shouted out a curse.

"IMPEDIMENTA!" she cried. Lily had barely enough time to react before she was thrown half way across the hall and smashed into the wall on the left.

Emma's scream was muffled as one of the Slytherins cast a body binding and silencing spell on her.

Bellatrix walked up to Lily, laughing.