Midnight happening

Disclaimer: written by @lannah

1:09 am

Lily sighed, tearing her gaze away from her watch and resumed her previous glaring at her Advanced Potions textbook. Instead of attempting to fall asleep like a normal person, she had resorted to doing homework at one o'clock in the morning because she was slowly turning into a raving insomniac.

Normally, she liked potions. She was good at it and schoolwork usually took her mind off of things. Except, this time, her old standby was not doing as good a job as it usually did.

She shivered a bit from the cold air emanating through the window (despite it being closed) she was currently sitting beside and pulled her hands further back into the sleeves of her sweatshirt. Her thoughts drifting from actual school work to something else.

'Some boys are like potions', she mused.

'Certain ingredients in specific proportions all precisely calculated in such a way that when mixed together correctly, they always formed the same product.'

There was nothing surprising there. Perfectly predictable. A person knew exactly what they got each time.

But, then there were the potions that almost spontaneously combusted upon reaction if something went wrong - those were never good.

And then there were the potions that if enough creativity could be mustered, they could be created into some things new, exciting and almost wondrous - and definitely unpredictable.

That type of potion was almost like one specific boy in particular.

Lily groaned.

Why couldn't she stop thinking about him?

James Potter was nothing more than a mere acquaintance. Well, maybe that was stretching the truth a bit. He did, after all, relentlessly pursue her for nearly two years. And now that he was Head Boy (and still had her wondering, what on earth Dumbledore was smoking the day he came up with that wondrous idea), they were forced to be together more than she would have liked.

Despite more time spent together though, they weren't friends...or at least, good friends. Lily had made sure of that - because friendship denoted a liking towards someone.

Ever since he had performed a complete turn around in attitude and had stopped asking her out every two seconds, she had tried to avoid getting too close.

Because, she could have seen herself taking a "liking" towards him and that would make her the biggest hypocrite in the world.

It was too bad her plan to remain distant was not working out so well. All of this extensive obsessing over James Potter and trying to figure out what went through that head of his was incredibly bad for her well-being. She was slowly turning into an insomniac.

Even though he had stopped asking her out, he hadn't seemed to curb his excessive flirting habit whenever he was around her. It was probably due to the fact that she did not seem to harbour the intense hate she previously had for him, or the fact that she did not threaten to hex him into oblivion as soon as he so much as looked in her direction, anymore. But, his flirting could also be due to the fact that he flirted with anything that walked and looked good in a skirt and she was no exception. Lily was willing to bet it was the latter. He obviously was not interested anymore.

Unfortunately for Lily though, she found herself not minding his flirting as much. Now, she was beginning to find his annoyingly, confident, quite funny and charming personality, rather endearing. She was also starting to somewhat miss his constant endeavours to get her to go to Hogsmeade with him. There was also the tiny fact (which she would never ever let leave the confines of her already messed up head) that he was inexplicably hot.