CHAPTER 4: MUSIC TO MY EARS

The school hour is over, now is when we can go out, do our homework and stuff, although now I must ask what my room will be.  But first, I have to sign up for some activity, I hope they are interesting.

I walk to the school entrance, and see some stuff going on. On the left, I see a row of students writing on a sheet of files on a table, with an opossum teacher who is sitting receiving the papers, and on the right, I see a poster where the activities are written, but the students, instead of standing in line, they're all piled up, not letting me see much.  I see other people having the same problem so they walk in front of the tall ones.... I'll have to do that, but ok. It won't be fun.

I ask permission to pass, but not everyone hears me, some of them leave and other people come, so I'll have to enter the crowd by force or I won't ever see that poster. 

I start to sneak inside as  always between the crowd, they are too many people, I start to feel crushed.  I pant, I'm feeling short of breath and my ear starts twitching again. Some people start stepping on me unintentionally and each time I feel more and more crowded.  I want to get out of here.  My instincts force me to duck and crawl through people like an uncivilized savage. Little by little I crawl to the poster, several people must be watching me, others not, I just know that every action I do destroys the little dignity I have left. I manage to pass the crowd and I'm in front of the poster at last.  I get up and stretch, plus I can't help but shake a little bit, I got chills after being so overwhelmed back there.

I look at the poster and read the activities.

Y/N: -Arts workshop, it could be fun. Baseball workshop, basketball, dance....  I'm not that good at sports.. -

I keep reading and analyze each activity, I want to choose the perfect one.

Y/N: -Yoga classes, it doesn't sound promising, singing classes ... mmmm nah, I value people's ears, math- NO THANKS!!! -

I wipe away the thought of having to be on that activity. Why does that even exist? I go back to reading.

Y/N: -Um.. science class, history, chemistry, blah blah blah ... Theater classes, could  be another option.  Music-!! -

I feel my tail and my ears lift, I hold the straps of my bag tight.  That word fits me perfectly.  .....That one.....

I walk towards the row, knowing what I am going to choose, forgetting completely about my goal of making friends, but rather concentrated in that workshop.

I wait for everyone in the row in front of me to finish signing and talk to the possum about why they choose such an activity, each time i get closer to signing, the more exited i get. Just when the last animal in front of me us done signing, I know immediately that it's my turn, I take the pen feeling sure of my decision and I write down my name, the school year I'm in, and the activity to which I'll sign up.  The music workshop.  My eyes lighten with just thinking about it. Once I'm done signing I feel my tail wagging from the excitement but I don't care. 

Now I must go to my new room to unpack, I walk slowly feeling the excitement of finally being able to play, either people will see me play or not.  As I walk, the possum asks me the question he's been making to the rest, but I am so excited that I completely ignore it.  Walking away and feeling a stroke of inspiration.