CHAPTER 32: CANINE FRIENDS

The school bell rang announcing recess, the beautiful break after boring classes. It's at this time of the day when I see Haru, the only difference today is that she told me before that she wouldn't be able to eat with me today. 
Something about a lot of gardening work or something. 

Anyway, I thought this might be the ideal time to get together with more friends, and by that I mean Legoshi.

I get up from my seat and carry my backpack, I go to Legoshi who's  walking with Jack.  I also had the choice to join Juno, but she has gotten to make many friends with people and personally, I don't want to interfere.

Now that I think about it .. What am I going to tell them?  They must think that it's very rare that from one day to another I start to get together so much with them.  What should I tell them?

Uh .. hi guys how are you?  No .. it sounds very casual .. Um ... What's up bruh?  I'm not saying that.

I walk over to the boys thinking of what to say.  Oh no, I can't think of anything!

Y/N: Um .. h-hi guys ..

Jack and Legoshi turn to see me, I feel a lump in my throat, I don't know what to say.

Jack: Oh hi Y/N, how have you been?

Y/N: Oh, uh, fine!  I've been fine um .. and you?

I wobble back and forth as my hands try to hide in some pockets, which is useless since I'm wearing the uniform, which has none.  WHY?!

I sweat as I make a stupid smile.  Time to ask, but how?

Jack: I'm fine, thanks!  Hey, do you want to join us for lunch?

Y/N: Oh .. um .. uh yeah!  Yes indeed I would like to.

Wow that was easy.  Praise Jack for saving me from the awkwardness! I turn to see Legoshi, who doesn't seem to be bothered.

Legoshi: Great!  Um ... by the way Jack.

Jack turns to see him with an innocent smile.

Legoshi: This time maybe we should eat somewhere else.  I don't want to draw any attention, I know there'll be a scandal there.

I get his point.  After all, yesterday was when the theater issue happened, it must be in the newspaper and everywhere right now.

Jack: Yeah, sure!

He turns to see me with his bright smile.  It'll sound strange, but seeing him smile tempts me to pat his head.

Jack: Are you coming with me Y/N?

Y/N: Y-Yeah of course.

Legoshi: All right, I see you at the drained pool.

Jack: See you there!

Jack walks to the cafeteria and I follow him. On the way, Jack asks me to go for an extra bag and get in line. While I do it, I see that he goes to buy a newspaper, he surely wants to see what it says after Legoshi incident, I want to know too.

I can see that many people bought the newspaper too, and they're talking a lot about it.  Legoshi was right, if he were here he'd be persecuted and overwhelmed by people.

Jack joins me and we keep waiting in line.  Everything's quiet but I hear something, something that I had stopped paying attention for a while.

Whispers.

I turn my gaze to see people whispering again.  There aren't as many as before but they still exist.  They also stare at me. When I was with Haru, I didn't pay attention to them, but now ... I can hear them again, and I remember all the rejections I've been through.

Jack: Hey, do you think Legoshi likes more orange juice or soy milk?

Y/N: Uh w-what?

He makes me snap out of my thoughts.

Jack: You know what?  I'll take the milk.

Y/N: Uh .. yeah, good plan.

We got the food, we put it on the bag and walked back.  In doing so, I keep hearing whispers about Legoshi, but still some of mine.  I try to ignore them, but I can't help but feel a hostile gaze from a particular group of people.  Badgers.

The same darn group of badgers who threw me on the ground and humiliated me.  Those eyes .. warn me of a danger.  They want more, they smile maliciously when they feel my nerves.

Whatever it is, I'd rather be ready for whatever is going to be presented to me. Meanwhile, I walk alongside Jack, ready to see Legoshi, and have a group to eat with.  I won't let those badgers ruin my day. 

I will worry about them later.