CHAPTER 9: INTERROGATION

Classes continue but I don't pay much attention. I just keep thinking about that boy. Tem ... Did he have any family? How old was he? I didn't see him in my classroom so he wasn't my age. Not that I could recognize him much since his entire body was ...

...

What was he doing there? Who would ever do that to a boy like him? I look at times at the hippopotamus teacher, pretending I'm paying attention. He's talking about this topic too and that we have to take care of ourselves. It's true, now they'll increase security. I don't think I'm going to be able to go out for a while, I'll have to send a message. I hope they'll understand. Of course I can't do it now. They're talking about what happened, it'd be very rude to use my cell phone on a time like this. I still can't believe it, someone died here. In this school...

Wait..

My ears and tail rise again. Hold on a second. Someone killed a classmate. Here in the school. No one would enter here just to kill someone and then leave. Im starting to sweat and twitch my eye. ....That means ..... Someone from HERE killed Tem. S-Someone from SCHOOL. There is a MURDERER among us.

The school megaphone makes that annoying screech again. Making me snap out of my thoughts. I suppose Gon will say something about Tem.

G: Attention. Y/N the arctic wolf, please report in my office immediately.

SHIT! This isn't good. This is bad! THIS IS REALLY BAD!! Everyone turns to look at me confused. Some people seem mad. I can't move! I CAN'T MOVE!! My claws are stuck to the table. My ear is twitching like never before. I'm sweating too much.

G: I repeat, Y/N from the sophomore year, please report to the office immediately.

Staying here won't fix anything. My stomach churns. I take a deep breath and use all my strength to get up. I walk to the office. I can feel everyone's eyes following me. There's an unbearable silence. But it all gets worse when I start hearing whispers.

For now I ignore them and come to the office. Alright Y/N, you have to calm down. If you look scared they'll obviously think you are guilty and that's NOT TRUE. I gulp, and knock on the door.

Knock, Knock..

G: Please come in..

Gon sounds more serious than the first time I met him. I open the door to meet Gon. But next to him is ... that guard. That snake that almost discovered me. I'm in trouble right?

G: Take a seat

Gon points to the seat in front of him. I obey, not saying anything, I just see them. I'm waiting to hear what they're going to tell me.
Gon turns the computer on his desk over for me to see. An image of the schoolyard at night appears on the screen. It doesn't seem like anything important until a few seconds later.
I see that the image was rather a video, at the moment when I appear, running with a panic on the screen. I remember when I ran at that time. I didn't remember to avoid security cameras. I'm in serious trouble.

G: It's you, right?

I can't say no when it seems very obvious that it's me. I look at the security guard, he is only looking at me with intense eyes. Not as Gon, who is waiting patiently at me, though he looks serious.

Y/N: .... Yeah .. it's me .. But it's not what it seems, I-

R: SO TELL US. What were you doing there?

The snake approaches me quickly and aggressively. Her sudden movement scared me, but I'm still sitting on the seat. I must say that until now I realize that snake was a female. She must be Rokume.

R: You know that students cannot be out of their rooms at night. What were you doing at that time? Why were you running if you did NOT do anything wrong? TELL US!!

Rokume is very close to me, she has me cornered with her questions and her body. I feel intimidated.

Y/N: I-I..

I look at Gon, as a sign of help, who is seeing my situation. I can see Gon isn't happy with Rakume's behavior. Save me Gon.

G: Rakume that's enough, let her speak. We don't know anything yet, she must have some explanation.

Rakume shows her fangs to me in anger, but leaves me alone and slides away from me, standing next to Gon again. That gave me chills but I feel a little relief after she backs up. Although I know this is some kind of interrogation with the good cop, bad cop style.

G: Y/N, this video was recorded shortly before they found Tem's body. Please explain to us what you were doing at that time. We need to have as much information as possible to solve this!

I can't believe it, but I appreciate Juno doubting me and asking me those questions. That way, I was able to make up a credible story before so that now, I wont look suspicious.

Y/N: I ... woke up in the middle of the night, I had to go to the bathroom. So I left my room. After finishing, I was gonna go back upstairs when ... I heard a very loud noise from outside. I was curious so I went to see what it was, the noise was heading towards the building. Um ...

I turn to see them, they both look attentive and they're letting me finish. That calms me down a bit. I look down and keep talking.

Y/N: I went to see, the door of the building was open, I went to check what was happening. I heard noises that led me to the entrance of a classroom. I saw that the door was almost destroyed and ...

Now, I can't mention that I saw Tem, they'll ask me why I didn't go to warn someone. I gotta think on something that could've stopped me, and made me run away ... But what? I see they're still staring at me.

Y/N: ... Then I smelled something. An unpleasant odor. I thought maybe someone had come in to steal something, but the smell scared me. It made me feel in danger so I ran away.

G: What did you smell?

They both stare at me, I can see that now is when they'll ask the questions.

Y/N: ... I smelled fear.

That should be enough, smelling fear causes disturbance. A normal wolf can smell a person's fear. Their body releases certain chemicals by being scared. That fear could have been Tem's and when I smelled it, it caused a survival instinct that I made me run away. That makes sense. ... Right?

Gon and Rakume look at each other, it seems they're trying to see whether to believe my story or not. I just sit there, sweating cold but trying not to look scared. Gon turns to see me.

G: Thanks Y/N. That's all for now. You can withdraw.

Wait, seriously? That's all? I'm about to ask but I prefer to obey instead of making them want to ask me more questions. I know they'll argue whether they believe me or not. For now I get up and leave his office.

I close the door and turn to see several people staring at me in the hallways. Were .... Were they spying on me? I look down and try not to call any attention, I walk back to the classroom. But this time I can't help but hear people's whispers.

Komodo Dragon: Do you think it was her?

Lioness: I'm sure about that. Why else would Principal Gon call her?

I try to ignore them but it's as if their whispers grow louder and louder.

Donkey: I heard that she is the only new girl in the second year of school.

Hawk: She barely arrives and someone dies. Too much of a coincidence right?

I walk faster to my classroom, but the whispers don't go away.

Mongoose: I heard she's the quiet one in the classroom.

Anteater: I heard that no one knows her past.

Horse: She did it.

Hedgehog: She's the one who killed him.

Frog: She killed him.

Fox: She's the killer.

And so... rumors begin.