CHAPTER 77: LEAVING VICTORIOUSLY

Slowly, we are coming out of the hell we got in.  Many would think that after fighting gangsters as a team and rescuing a girl, we would leave the building as heroes, with the moon reflecting our back, the wind blowing through our fur, with a smile and epic music in the background...  Well it's not like that.

Between the three of us, we piled up injured, dirty, with worn and torn clothes, using the one who's next to us to support each other so as not to lose our balance and fall. 

Right now, we look like scared puppies who entered the wrong place and stumble over everything to get out of there.

Without realizing it I cling to Legoshi's shirt, trying not to limp so as not to worry them.  I feel an intense fatigue, I could bet that if I lay down on the floor that I'm treading right now, I would fall asleep in an instant.  But I won't do that.  We're all exhausted from the fight, even Haru, who has probably gone through more than us.

The place is full of silence, the only thing I can hear are the exhausted breaths of my friends and mine, and our clumsy steps.

We went through the rooms we entered a few minutes ago, but now everything is dark, it seems that there is no electricity in this place.  We went down the stairs step by step, hoping not to trip and fall down all the steps.

I can't help but limping going downstairs, now that when I step on my injured leg, and I have to support my whole body with it, it's like my leg was made of noodles.  So I end up slowing down the stairs by lowering my good leg and then lowering the injured one.  I turn to see my friends but they don't seem to realize that we are slowing down, I guess they need it too.

After going down all the stairs and feeling that the building was bigger than I remembered, it only remains to walk the long corridor that leads from the building to the bridge to the exit. 

As we start walking I look around the place it looks empty but there are a couple of lions tied to the sides, it seems I'm the only one who is looking around. 

Haru and Legoshi just stare at the exit, that being their last goal.  I look around again and I see one of the bamboo spears embedded in the wall with a note, the text in it, is a bit far away so I have to adjust my sight to understand what it says. 

I squint my eyes a little, and I can read what it says.  "Good luck in the fight" . I think it is more obvious to know that Gohin wrote that...

It's until now that I have the thought that although I went up to help my friends and I don't regret it, I feel shame and guilt for leaving Gohin on his own, I'm glad to know that he was able to fight against the others. I'm pretty tired that it doesn't occur to me to show my friends the note.

I turn to see Haru who is next to Legoshi, every time I see her, I feel that she becomes more and more vulnerable. 

I know she hates people seeing her like that and I try not to think of her as a poor bunny in danger.  But now, that we rescued her from a bunch of psychopaths, seeing her covering herself with nothing but Legoshi's school jacket, I can't help but feel bad for her. Which I feel like I'm failing her again. 

I look down and think about what has happened these last few days.  Without realizing that we keep walking.

The last time I saw Haru, she had seen me with a bloody muzzle, and she was afraid of me...

The words Legoshi said to me begin to echo in my mind over and over again.

Legoshi: Haru doesn't want to talk to you for now...

She must have thought that I was the one who killed Tem at the time.. What would she of my now that I helped her? Or.. does she think that I'm keeping her to myself or something like that?

I shouldn't ask myself those kind of questions. That has given me several problems. I feel pain in my leg again, and I hold back a squeak. 

We're outside the building, the rain has gone and the only thing it has left to show that it was here are puddles and a few last icy drops.  The change in temperature and the wind seems to have caused that pain in my leg.

I use my tail to cover my wound so that the wind doesn't rose it, but my fur when touching the wound doesn't help either, so I take it back, I'll have to endure the wind.

I look at Legoshi, he has a black eye and a scratch on his side, he looks very tired, he hasn't said anything since we started leaving here, he hasn't turned to see me. 

I wonder if he's still upset with me.. I can't show him my injury, he will get mad with me and say something like "I told you so" or "Why don't you listen to me?  What you did was stupid". I wonder if he really could have done this alone... I will never know, but I hope I was helpful.

Haru: Are those.. corpses?

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear her, I turn to face the front and I find the hanged bodies that were in the entrance.  I forgot they were there.

Haru: Those guys are monsters.

Silence abounds for a few seconds, I don't think there is something right to say about them.  We decided to keep walking, but then a noise was heard.

BANG!!

The screech in my ear returned, we all turned to look behind us quickly, but we didn't see anyone, the noise seemed to come from up above.

Legoshi: We have to go now.

I nod and turn around, Haru does the same and we left before someone else followed us. 

Who knows what is happening up there now, whatever it may be, we won't stay to find out. 

Finally we leave that awful place, the last thing I know from there is another noise that is heard in the distance.

BANG!