~3~

~Kunmi~

Sometimes, you've had that particular dream over and over again that it had become hard to separate from reality. It could as well be real. You might have experienced that dream.

My alarm woke me up when my dream was exactly where it always stopped. I opened my ears and rubbed the sleep from my face. It was 6:35 am. I said a quick prayer before I stood up to prepare for school.

During the drive to school, I remembered I still haven't selected all the subjects I was to offer. I still haven't selected one from Music and Virtual Arts. The Arts department's Secretary had told me that today was the final day for submission. I was supposed to fill the form and submit it immediately but I had spent more than a week perambulating.

I heaved a sigh as we drove into Crescent High. I got down and said bye-bye to the driver. When I got to the class, only three of my classmates were in class. I sat on my seat and brought out the form. It was neatly folded between my Mathematics textbook. I opened it and peered at the words again

Music or Virtual Arts.

I heaved a sigh.

Maybe this is when I finally face my demons.

What demons?

We all have demons, don't we?

I don't have any Demon.

I closed my eyes and blanked out all of my thoughts.

I picked my pen and finally made my choice.

I picked music.

Again.

**********

It's been a week. An uneventful week at that. I've managed to keep my head above the water. Keeping my head above the water meant I survived all unnecessary drama. I kept to myself in class, avoided talking unless talked to and I've never stepped into the school's cafeteria. That would be the worst one. If you think you're lonely in class, trust me, you'll be the loneliest in the cafeteria. That's the place where friends talk the loudest, where they gist the loudest, where they laugh the loudest. Imagine being ostracized from that much fun because you don't have friends. I'd rather just remain in class and read something. Anything.

It was Tuesday and it was a free period. I was reading, Nah, I was flipping through a book because I couldn't concentrate. The noise was too much. Everybody was talking in animated voices. I guess it was majorly from the excitement of the next Biology class topic- Reproductive systems. Our Biology teacher, Mr. Amadi had told us that that was the next topic.

The girl beside me, the one who was already reading a magazine, glamor magazines, fashion magazines, lifestyle magazines. She was currently reading a Genevieve Magazine and a boy was disturbing her.

"Kunle, for the last time, stop disturbing me. Go and look for someone else to disturb na. There's Adam and there's Aminah."

The boy- Kunle snatched the magazine from her.

"Don't you get tired of reading this thing? There's nothing here other than fine faces, half-naked bodies, and sexy bodies."

He said the last part with a smug look and a sly voice and the girl, whose name I've come to realize was Sophia rolled her eyes.

"Yeah. Because that's all your brain can comprehend there. Sha gives me my magazine and gets out."

She said with laughter in her voice and I smiled. The rest of their conversation blurred out when someone tapped on my desk. I looked up. It was a tall fair boy I've not seen in class before and I've already memorized the faces of all my classmates. All 20 of them.