~10~

~Kunmi~

We just finished our second CA and I was still surprised at how fast the term was. It seemed like yesterday when I resumed and now exams start in three weeks and Aminah's party was in two weeks. My dread kept growing as the day to her party drew nearer just as Aminah's excitement grew. We were on our way to the cafeteria and she was going on and on about how she couldn't wait for the party.

"My mom throws birthday parties for me every year but this year is very special. Do you know why?"

She asked, turning her head sideways to look at me. I shook my head.

"Because it's my 16th birthday. My sweet Sixteen. I've been looking forward to my Sweet Sixteen since I watched Mara's Sweet Sixteen party about 6 years ago. I really can't believe my party is in two weeks."

I smiled as she gave a dramatic sigh that attracted the attention of the students close to us. Kunle and Sophia that were walking in front of us even looked back. Kunle winked at her and Sophia only looked at her blankly before they both faced their front again. I already gave up on figuring Sophia out. She was a hard nut to crack.

"God. I really can't wait. Trust me, you're going to enjoy the party."

I smiled even though my insides were churning. I don't understand how someone would love parties like that. She reminded me of Mayowa, she was never home on Fridays and Saturdays; it was always one hang out after the other, one party after the other.

Sophia laughed at something Kunle must have said and the latter threw his hands around her shoulders. She shrugged him off while still laughing. I subconsciously turned to look at Aminah. She was also looking at the duo. I sincerely wondered how she handle her boyfriend being that close to another girl; a girl who seemed to dislike her. Kunle and Sophia were so close that one would think they were dating but I've seen Kunle with Aminah so I knew better.

We sat down at a table of six after ordering our food. Adam wasn't with us; he left the class immediately the teacher we had before lunch break left and that was like 30 minutes ago.

"Where is Adam?"

Aminah asked as if she read my thoughts and I was internally grateful towards her because left to me, I would never have asked.

"He must be holed up in the Arts studio."

Kunle replied her and his hands reached out to steal from her plates, she slapped his hands away, a playful and teasing look on her face.

"Steal from Sophia's plate if you want to steal someone's food."

"Nah, it's from yours I want."

And they continued their cute banter. Aminah ended up moving from her seat and he followed her.

"I have to go and see Gabriella for something. I'll meet you guys in class."

That was Sophia and the duo paused their hanky panky to look at her. Kunle frowned and he stared at her almost untouched food, then to her face again.

"But you've not even eaten anything."

She shrugged as she stood up, a distant look in her eyes.

"I don't have an appetite and besides, you know Spag isn't my type of food."

She did not wait for anybody's reply before she stood up and walked out of the cafeteria. Kunle stared at her retreating back before he focused his attention back on his food.

"But is she alright?" Aminah asked Kunle who was now toying with his food. He did not reply to her immediately and when she touched his arms, he jumped and that made it obvious that he did not hear what she said.