~38~

~KUNMI~

We walked home in silence, the sound of our footsteps the only thing echoing on the street. After Aminah and Kunle left, that was a mild way to put it, by the way, nobody said anything for a while and when someone finally spoke up, it was Adam and it was to ask if Sophia was okay.

If Sophia was okay after she told Aminah to shut up. If there was anyone that question should be directed to, it should be Aminah because honestly, that babe had suffered in Sophia's hands. Even after Sophia had treated her like she was irrelevant, she had put up with it, never for once allowed it to get it, and now, Sophia to shut up, in front of others?

I understood Aminah's anger and I was lowkey angry at Sophia for what she did but I still couldn't help but feel bad for her, especially the way her shoulders slumped when Kunle ran after Aminah and she looked like she genuinely regretted saying that.

We left not quite long after that and we left Alex and Gab behind. Alex had remained quiet all through and for some strange reasons, he looked angry, he even looked like he was angry at Sophia.

Weird. Because I don't understand why he'd be angry at her. Too many weird people ehn.

Adam seemed to be preoccupied with his rights as he said nothing while we walked. His hands were in his pocket and his face remained impassive and he looked a little bit disturbed and a little bit uncomfortable?

Because of what happened back there?

We were like 6 houses away from my house and he still haven't said a word. Now, that's totally unlike him.

"Are you okay?"

I found myself asking, my head turned sideways so I'd see his face. He turned to look at me, his eyes met mine for a very brief moment before he looked away, almost hurriedly.

"Yes, I'm okay. It's just...." He trailed off and I could almost hear him swallowing a lump. "I just have a lot going on on my mind."

Ohh. I found myself nodding slowly. He did look like he had a lot going on.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

My mouth, not myself, asked shocking me out of my wits. I should have known, ever since we started getting closer that my mouth had developed a mind of its own, always opening and closing and forming words. Whenever I'm with him, I say things, lots of things I wouldn't have said on a normal day, with another person.

He looked at me again, a small smile on his lips and he shook his head.

Then, he muttered something that sounded so much like you want to know.

Hmmm. I frowned, my mouth opening to say something else but we were now in front of my house and Aminah was leaning against the fence with Kunle directly in front of her, his hands on her cheek. They both turned to us as we approached them.

Aminah's eyes looked vacant, glassy, and swollen. It looked like she had been crying? I found myself walking towards her till I was standing by her side.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded curtly, her eyes still fixed on Kunle who had now moved a little bit away from her.

"I guess we will see tomorrow then."

"You're coming over again tomorrow?"

She asked her boyfriend, her voice picking up and I smiled. Kunle smiled too, a wide grin on his face.

"Not exactly. I'm staying over. Adam's cousin is throwing a house party tomorrow."

"Ohh. Do we get to come over?"