Chapter 31

Nightmare slams his door and locks it, then slumps down against the door. 'No! No no no! Why did that happen?! Why did I do that?! Why did I nearly kill Dream?!' He decides just locking the door isn't enough and uses his magic to make sure no one can teleport or portal into his room.
As soon as Dust releases Dream, Dream just stares at where Nightmare had been before he took off. He knows his brother is scared and in pain but he doesn't know what to do. Dream can hear talking but it's extremely muffled and out of focus.
  All he can focus on is the fact his brother just ran away because of him and nothing else. Even the calls of Dust and his other allies can do nothing to break him from his shocked state. Tears well in his eye sockets and he quickly turns around and runs out the door, tears starting to stream down his skull as he runs away.
Dream continues running, occasionally teleporting to different AUs, until he ends up in DreamTale, curled up against the now dead Tree Of Feelings.
Meanwhile, Nightmare is still sobbing in his room, refusing to calm down or even come out of his room. He knows several people have tried getting in but his room is manually locked and locked with his magic so no one can get in. "G-Go a-away."
"I'm afraid I can't do that Nightmare." Killer begins. "It's obvious you're in pain after you nearly had a meltdown yet rather than come to us you're choosing to lock yourself away from everyone. Practically isolating yourself over an accident."
"I know you didn't mean it Nightmare. I know you were so lost in thought you were about to have an episode. That's happened to me before. Heck, it's happened to all of us. You've seen it. Especially in Error. He's had more episodes than the rest of us combined."
"But just because you had an episode doesn't mean you have to isolate yourself due to fear of hurting us. You can come to us and we'll help you. You know we will. Trust me. I tried isolating myself after one of my episodes. All it did was make me feel even worse and didn't calm me down at all."
  "You can talk to us Nightmare. We can help you. Just please. Come out of your room. We're all worried about you. Blue's gone after Dream. Just please. Let us help you."
"N-No! I'll o-only attack o-one o-of you a-again!" Nightmare exclaims, still sobbing.
  Suddenly, a new voice is heard. It's Cross. "Nightmare. Please. It wasn't your fault. We all know it wasn't your fault and you do too. So please. Unlock your room and come out. As Killer said, Blue's gone after Dream. But right now our main focus is you."
  "Hey. I have an idea. Do you still have the blanket Error made you?"
"Y-Yeah. I-I do." Nightmare replies. "W-What about i-it?"
  Cross smiles and looks at Killer before turning his attention back to the currently sealed room. "Would you be willing to come out of there if you have it wrapped around you? We all know how much it comforts you when you're upset."
  Nightmare sighs and grabs the blanket, wrapping it around himself, being mindful of his tentacles. He looks at the blanket that's wrapped around him.
  The blanket is cyan with negative apples in various places and in the center is the front of Nightmare's old crown. He opens the door and hesitantly leaves his room, looking at the floor since he doesn't feel like he deserves to look anyone in the face at the moment.
  Killer motions for Nightmare and Cross to follow him and leads them into the living room, where the rest of the Bad Sanses are waiting for Nightmare to appear.
  "Nightmare! Are you okay?!" Dust exclaims. It's not every day he sees Nightmare walking around wrapped up in the blanket Error made him.
  Nightmare shakes his head no and is instantly wrapped in a hug by none other than Error, who had woke up when Nightmare slammed his door. "W-What? W-Why are you b-being so n-nice to me?"
  "BeCaUsE i KnOw YoU dIdN't HuRt DrEaM oN pUrPoSe. YoU wErE hAvInG a FlAsHbAcK. i CoUlD tElL. iT's NoT yOuR fAuLt NiGhTmArE."
Meanwhile, in DreamTale, Dream is sitting against the trunk of the destroyed Tree of Feelings, motionless, no hint of emotion on his face or in his aura except guilt and sadness, extreme sadness that would be able to fuel Nightmare for eons to come. "Why did I let him eat the apple? Why didn't I stop him?"
He pulls out a negative apple and stares at it. "Maybe I should become like him. Shattered. Then we'll finally truly be together. We'll be brothers again."
Right as Dream is about to eat the apple Blue tackles him and the apple rolls out of his hand and down the hill, which is quickly collected by Dust, who had secretly teleported there upon receiving a text from Blue.
"Dream?! What were you thinking?!" Blue exclaims, clearly concerned for his friend. He gets off Dream and pulls him into a hug, not planning on letting go until Dream explains his actions.
Dream can feel tears well up in his eye sockets and he instantly tries to cover up the fact he's sad, not wanting Blue to know he's having negative feelings. "I-It's not i-important B-Blue." He replies as tears start streaming down his skull.
"Clearly it's important since you're crying Dream." Blue says, laying Dream down on the ground. "I'm your friend. You can tell me what's wrong. Please, keeping this hidden isn't good for you."
  Dream lays on the ground, staring at the sky. 'I want to tell him but at the same time no one else should have to be concerned with my problems. I'm the freaking God of Positivity for apple's sake! No one should see me cry or be negative!' "I-I. I can't."
  "Yes you can." Blue begins. "Dream. I can tell you aren't happy. You don't have to fake being happy around me. Just because you're the God of Positivity doesn't mean you have to always be happy. You can be negative too."
  Dream sighs, deciding he should just get it over with. "It's my fault. Back when DreamTale was still in one piece Nightmare and I were extremely close. I was the Guardian of the golden apples and Nightmare was the Guardian of the negative apples."
  "We were the Guardians of the Tree of Feelings and both of us were princes. Now, he's God of Negativity and King of Nightmares and I'm God of Positivity. But it wouldn't have turned out like this had I done more to stop the villagers from bullying Nightmare and spent more time with him!"
  "The day he ate the apple was my worst nightmare! First he killed the villagers, then the tree and mom, then fought me and sealed me in stone! And it's all my fault!"
  Blue quickly pulls the now sobbing Dream into a hug, shushing him and whispering sweet nothings into where his ear would be. He waits for Dream to fall asleep before putting him on his back and opening a portal to Nightmare's mansion. Taking one last look at DreamTale he steps through the portal and into the mansion, the portal to DreamTale closing for what he hopes is the last time.