Chapter 32

I sigh as I knit a blanket for Dream. The blanket will be galaxy and have a white crescent moon. It's my idea for the symbol for the Nova Sanses. The Bad Sanses have a symbol too. It's all of our SOULs on a black background.
  It's faded and needs redone but I'll do it later. It's been a few hours since the incident happened and I've been sitting here knitting and watching the two brothers make hopeless attempts at reconciliation, only to wimp out and try again later, with the same results.
  I can tell the rest of the gang is at a loss as well. I've never seen them look so confused before. They've come to me for advice throughout the day but I'm equally confused. And looks like they're at it again. This ought to be interesting. And a complete fail.
  "Brother. I..."
  "Dream. I...I can't. Not now."
  "B-But! Nightmare! Please!"
  "I-I'm sorry. I-I just. I just can't!"
  "Brother! Wait!"
  Nightmare can feel tears streaming from his visible eye socket as he runs away after yet another failed attempt at reconciliation. He quickly runs into the back garden where he'll sing when no one's listening.
  He sees Dream ahead of him but he isn't too surprised. This is their childhood home after all. What shocks him though, is the song Dream's singing. It's Lost In The Moment by NF.
  "This may be the last sunset I'll see. So I'll take it in, I'll take it in. This may be the last air that I'll breathe. So I'll breathe it in, I'll breathe it in."
  "I heard that pictures don't change. Just the people inside of 'em do. Whoever told you that life would be easy. I promise that person was lying to you. You got a problem with followin' through."
  "That's why I got a problem with followin' you."
  "You keep looking at me like this problem is new. But we've been here before, what you tryin' to do? Don't talk to me like I don't know what you feeling. 'Cause I was there with you back in the beginning. Quit looking away when I talk, let me finish. I'm tryna be honest."
  "You tryna forget me."
  "Ugh. What's wrong with you, hey? I know that you got a lot on your plate. You keep telling me that I should get out of your way. But I can't see how you gon' lie to my face. "
  "Don't tell me you fine cause I know that you not so don't even try."
  "And what we gon' live for in this life full of pain? 'Til we're eighty and one day we'll get up and say we regretted our lives. That's where we going. Do not pretend like you don't even notice. Funny thing is that you already know it. I'm starting to think that you like how I feel so be lost in the moment."
  "Lost, lost in the moment. Lost in the moment, lost in the moment. And get lost, lost in the moment. Lost in the moment, lost in the moment."
  "Yeah, they told us that time flies, didn't know what it means. Now I feel like we just running tryna catch it and cut up its wings. But that ain't gon' happen."
  "Joy, when was the last time we had it?"
  "I don't remember 'cause all that we do is go backwards but that's what you get when you live in the past. And I know that we breathing but we not alive."
  "Really, is this the way we wanna die?"
  "'Till you got everything bottled inside."
  "If only they knew what goes on in our minds."
  "I know what you thinking so don't try to hide. Why do you look at me like you surprised? If you really mean what you write in these lines. Why don't you fix it? Cause I'm getting tired. Yeah, I can no longer do this."
  "Ever since you fell in love with the music. See, you find a way to express what you feel. But the moment that you get away from the mic you don't know what you doing. Is it clear to you yet? I don't know what's going on in your head. But eventually, you'll have to deal with the things that you talk about yeah, but I guess until then, we're lost."
  "Lost, lost in the moment. Lost in the moment, lost in the moment. And get lost, lost in the moment. Lost in the moment, lost in the moment. Yeah."
  "Oh, oh, oh."
  "Yeah."
  "Oh lost."
  "Oh."
  "Yeah."
  "Oh."
  "No no."
  "This may be the last sunset I'll see."
  "I'll take it in."
  "I'll take it in."
  "This may be the last day that I'll breathe."
  "I'll breathe it in."
  "Dream. Please. You don't have to leave just because of a breakdown. Please. Stay here."
  "I'm not leaving. Just going on vacation. I need some time to myself Nightmare. I just. I just need to think. About everything. Everything we've been through. Everything that's happened recently." Dream replies,  fidgeting with his staff. "Please understand. It's just. This is all too much in the span of a short time."
  Nightmare sighs, knowing he can't stop his brother. With a nod, he watches Dream teleport away and gets up to head back inside, taking one last look at where Dream had been sitting moments prior.
  Cross watches silently from the bushes, having secretly recorded the entire thing to share with the others later. Poor Nightmare. Poor Dream. All they've tried to do was reconcile but it hasn't worked. We have to get them back together. No matter what.
  But how do we do that? Dream disappeared and Nightmare is more depressed than ever about the situation. The only thing I can think of doing is keeping Nightmare happy during Dream's absence. But I don't even know if that will work. What am I gonna do?
  He sends the video to the others with the caption "WATCH THIS NOW!"
  Horror hears a ding on his phone and checks the notifications only to see a video from Cross. "I wonder what's so urgent about this video that Cross is practically shouting." He plays the video and when it's done Horror is practically speechless.
  "What the? But why? How? Dream did. And Nightmare. Crying. I've never seen him cry. Went somewhere. But. Where? What happened? What was that?" What did I just witness?