~Present Day~

Your fingers drum rhythmically on the red-felt surface of the table. The cards clutched in your other hand were facing secretively away from the other players sitting at the gambling table. Your eyes flicker over them one more time, before you look around at your competition. It was quite easy to read them; most men were. Just by the quick once-over, you were able to tell who was bluffing, confident, or nervous. You could also tell that they were trying to read the blank expression on your face, but you didn't give them anything to work with. Over the past few years, you had perfected your so-called poker face.

Klikklak was a game made just for gamblers. It was addicting and intoxicating. The constant reward of money was a beacon for greed. It was the perfect game to play at a place like Canto Bight. The casino was practically a trap for anyone who entered it. One's senses would become overwhelmed by the heat, the music, the noise, the alcohol, the temptations, and the sexual atmosphere. Canto Casino was just the place for low-lifes looking to make a few credits or the richest of the rich to come and gamble their savings away. They would bet on cruel races, drink their nights away, and end up in a hotel room with some sort of prostitute. There wasn't a man in the entire building who didn't have a woman by his side. This was extremely common and if anyone knew this, it was you.

Canto Bight hadn't only swept unsuspecting men and women through its doors. You were one of their many victims. Your cycle of grief had been held together by alcohol and gambling for a while, until you realized that you can benefit from it greatly. Now you were one of their regulars and many teased you by referring to you as the 'Queen of Cards.' It was a fitting title. There wasn't a single player who had challenged you that you hadn't beaten. Many tried and none succeeded.

You look up when you hear a grunt of annoyance. Four men had been going back and forth for a while and they were finally knocking each other out of the game. Took them long enough, you think with a small scoff. The final player turns his body to face you and his eyes narrow at you over his cards. A crowd had begun gathering around the table. People and creatures were excited to see the so-called 'Queen' beat another egotistical gambler. They begin to mutter among each other as they pass bets around over who was going to win. Most of them were towards you, which was pleasing to say the least.

Your eyes glance over your cards one last time, before you closely inspect him. He was leaning forward and one arm against the table; the hand with his cards. His eyes were filled with emptiness and held glimmers of confidence. Then you spy something. His free hand was moving ever so slightly and he was rubbing the pad of his thumb against his forefinger. Nervous, you realize.

"Nervous, are you?" You decide to make things more interesting for your audience.

He chuckles throatily. "You wish, little girl. Today is the day a new king of the casino is crowned. You'll never be able to show your face again if you lose now."

"I'm willing to take that bet." You pass your cards into your other hand and decide quickly on his cards. "Higher."

"Higher," he echoes your words, eying you closely for any sign of a reaction.

"Higher or lower, which one will it be?" You were trying to confuse him and it was clearly working.

"That depends on if we're talking about you or me." The man chuckles coldly.

Gotcha, you think gleefully. Everyone around you was beginning to realize it as well. It takes the man a few moments, before he begins to realize that he had slipped up. With a puff of frustration, he tosses his cards down, revealing that they were truly lower than yours. You spread your cards across the table and stand up with a big smirk.