~Starkiller Base~

Kylo didn't inform you about Starkiller Base very well. So when you showed up in one of the hangars in a simple t-shirt while everyone was heavily dressed, you were given a few odd looks. You scowl at your master, who was most definitely laughing at you from beneath that bucket on his head. You storm past him onto the Command Shuttle and plop yourself into one of the seats. He takes a seat beside you and leans in, lowering his voice as the hatch closes behind him.

"Looks like you're going to need a new wardrobe. Don't worry, pet, I have a few surprises for you when we arrive." He growls in a low tone.

The words send shivers down your spine. You gasp and grab tightly onto your restraints as the shuttle shudders and lifts off the ground. The landing gear groans beneath you as it retracts into the bottom of the ship. It picks up speed and soars out of the hangar mouth, shooting off into the emptiness of space. Kylo reaches over and pries your white-knuckled fingers from the restraints. "Calm down, Butterfly. Nothing's going to happen."

You still weren't very particular to that nickname, but you didn't want to protest about it now. "I'm not used to flying," you admit quietly. "The Finalizer was never this rough when it moved."

Kylo removes his gloves and sets them in his lap. "Just wait until you feel how rough re-entry is."

You wince. "What is Starkiller Base exactly?" From what you had heard, it was some sort of massive machine built into a planet.

"A super-weapon built into the core of the planet Ilum. It took years of excavation, but it's finally ready. The base drains the power of the sun to power its core. When it's fully charged it can wipe out an entire star system." He boasts proudly. "The Republic doesn't stand a chance. Once the Republic has fallen... the Resistance dies."

"Great," you sigh, leaning your head back against the hard headrest of the seat. "It sounds like an accident waiting to happen. And why exactly am I coming with you?"

Your master sighs in exasperation. "We have powerful allies, pet. If we are to remain allies they need to see what we can provide. A handful of delegates are coming to the base to see what it is capable of. You and I are to attend a dinner soon, which means you better be on your best behavior. These men are not the type to take insults lightly. It would be best to stay silent for as long as possible." Kylo tilts his head at you expectantly, but you are done asking questions. For now.

What must have been another hour and a half of Hyperspace travel in the swirling blue and white mass, the Command Shuttle finally makes the jump with a jolt. Your eyes widen at the sight of the base through the cockpit windshield. It was huge. The planet's surface was a deep blue that looked cold and icy. The weapon itself had been built into a large chunk of it and the core was glowing a deep, menacing red color. The upper-atmosphere of the planet was busy with Star Destroyers and ships flying to and fro for security purposes. Two TIE Fighters pull up to the sides of the shuttle, escorting it down toward Starkiller Base.

Your nails dig into the armrests of your seat as the entire ship rattles and jumps as the engines strain to push it into the atmosphere of Ilum. Kylo chuckles beside you. The sound was unnerving with his mask on. His laugh when it was off made him seem so much more... human to you. Granted, laughter wasn't something you heard often from him. He was so cautious about showing his true emotions. Sometimes you wished he would just tell you what he was really feeling. You were sure he would be an entirely different person if he did.

As the Command Shuttle breaks through the dense white and gray clouds, you immediately scowl at the sight of the surface. It was all covered in snow-capped mountains and dead forests. Thick white flurries of snow spatter against the sides of the ship as the wind howls. Now you were really regretting your choice in clothing. The shuttle slows down and pulls around, before settling down on the pavement with a small bump.

 As soon as the hatch opens, the howling wind swirls inside. Goosebumps explode over your skin, making you cross your arms and shiver. For a sun-powered planet, it was surprisingly cold. Kylo rises to his feet and looks at you for a moment. He hums quietly and unpins his cloak, tossing the heavy thing into your arms. You blink at him in surprise, but he was already striding down the ramp. Not wanting to trail behind, you wrap his cloak tightly around your body. It smelled just like him and for some reason it was extremely comforting.

You gaze around in awe at the exterior of the base and at a few of the TIE Fighters, shuttles, and transports  waiting to be repaired. Your breath comes out in puffs against the cold air as the snow crunches beneath your feet. As you glance down at Kylo's footprints, you realize just how big he really was. He made you feel like a small child looking up at their father in awe. The snow catches on his black robes and in his cloak wrapped around you. Flakes catch in your swirling hair and in your eyelashes. As the two of you step through a pair of blaster doors, you are immediately greeted by a relaxing blast of warm air. You decide to keep Kylo's cloak around you, not wanting to look like the fool who showed up in a t-shirt, although you must have looked ridiculous with the oversized fabric.

Kylo pauses for a few moments to speak to some Stormtroopers, but you weren't listening. You were too busy marveling at the interior of the base. Everything was sleek and polished. It was as simplistic as the Finalizer, but there was so much beauty and grace behind the simplicity, that it was a reccurring theme within the First Order's design. Their blood-orange banners were hanging proudly in every corridor and room inside, doing well to hide some of the exposed piping and blinking lights. The commander finishes his conversation and beckons you with two gloved fingers. Not wanting to get lost in this massive base, you follow him closely.

He guides you through the twisting maze of corridors and turns that you knew you were never going to be able to remember, before finally pausing in front of a sealed door. Kylo enters the code and gestures for you to enter the room. Obviously it was meant to be your own.

"I don't know how long we'll stay after the delegates leave," Kylo admits as you gaze around your new quarters. "My quarters are going to be just five doors to your right. I expect you to come when you're called. Luckily I won't be needing you for quite some time. Hopefully you won't have to make any appearances until the day of the dinner." He moves past you toward a little door near the bed. Kylo tugs the door open and you gasp with excitement.

You scurry into your new closet, rummaging through the rows of new clothes. Gone were the days of only wearing t-shirts and leggings. Now you had real clothes that would belong to an apprentice. Sets of training robes, combat robes, and even formal robes--all black to suit the environment around you--made up your new wardrobe. There were even new nightgowns, dresses, and undergarments in the mix. Some of the drawers held leather and cloth armor similar to the ones Kylo wore beneath his robes. You hold up a leather holster and turn to Kylo.

"Is this what I think it is?" You whisper.

He nods stiffly. "Soon, you'll have a lightsaber of your own. I'll help you construct one when you're ready."

You couldn't contain your joy. "Thank you, Master."

Kylo nods once more and turns on his heel, leaving the room without even bothering to say another word or ask for his cloak back. You didn't care. For now, you were overjoyed with his new gifts to you. You exit the closet and flop down on the silk sheets of the bed, a smile tugging at the corners of your lips. Maybe this wasn't going to be quite as bad as you thought.