~The Race~

You felt terribly bad for what had happened the night before. Xian had been waiting patiently for you to leave the bathroom, but you couldn't bring yourself to do so. You had been in there for nearly fifteen minutes before he began to grow concerned. After his voice had called out for the fifth time, you leave the bathroom with a pale face and trembling hands. He had asked you what was wrong, but you couldn't find the words to explain. Besides, he wouldn't understand it. You weren't sure if you understood it either. He stood up from the bed in confusion as you had left his room without another word.

This morning, you were sure that he was going to be angry with you. As you put on your uniform and pull your hair back out of your face, you look into the mirror one last time. The Force had kept you up all night and it had gone silent very early in the morning, giving you a few hours of rest. You couldn't think about that now; it was time for work. When you weren't gambling your money and building your reputation on the casino floor, you worked there. No one was allowed inside before the afternoon, which meant it all had to be rearranged, wiped down, and cleaned up. That's where you came in. It wasn't an ideal job, but it paid for your room expenses and gave you the credits to gamble with. As the elevator slides open, you slip through the hallway and try to sneak past the bar that Xian worked at. You were unsuccessful.

The sound of your name being called out reverberates through the room. "Wait! Please... we need to talk."

You turn around slowly, wincing slightly at his pained expression. "I-I don't have much to say to you about last night."

"I just want to understand." Xian wipes his hands on a rag and gestures to a bar stool. As you slowly sit down, he walks around the bar and sits beside you, reaching out and gripping your hand tightly. "If there's something bothering you, you can tell me. I don't want there to be any secrets between us and you need to be comfortable speaking to me."

You shift slightly. "I know. It's just this little... problem... isn't something I want to talk about. It's not something you would understand either."

"Try me," he crosses his arms.

"No, Xian. I'm sorry. I really am. I don't want to tell you anything until I know more about it. I can't. Not until then anyways." You say apologetically.

Xian sighs and closes his eyes momentarily. "All we do is sleep together and you know it. I want a real relationship with someone I love. And that's you. How about you and me go to the Fathier races this afternoon?"

You frown. "You know I hate those races. The way they treat those animals is so cruel."

"It's just something I thought we could do together. There isn't much else to do in this city." Xian stands up and reaches for the rag. "Just forget it then."

"No, no," you say quickly, not wanting to upset him. "I'll go with you."

He smiles brilliantly, satisfied with your compliance. "Perfect! I'll meet you here at noon."

~

By the time noon rolls around, you were strangely nervous. It was a very odd feeling, considering how close you and Xian were. He had been your friend ever since you arrived on Canto Bight and it's not like this was a date or anything... right? No, if this was a date you were sure Xian would pick something more romantic. He was a softie in that way. Ever since the beginning, he only wanted what was best for you. Perhaps that was what drew you to him. He was so kind and caring, but he still joked around and had a cruel sense of humor sometimes. He was just so magnetic. Just like someone else you had known a while ago...