~Head or Heart~

Just as Kylo had said, you were scheduled to leave early the next morning. Although you wouldn't be seeing him for just a week, it was strange being separated. He was one of the only people you knew in the Order. One of the only people you trusted. Six others were assholes, one was an arrogant general, and the last was a Stormtrooper you hadn't spoken to in a long time.

So naturally, you were a little nervous to be alone. You bade him farewell and good luck with the prisoner, but you also warned him to be cautious. Neither of you knew what the girl was capable of yet. It would be wise to keep a wary eye out. The goodbyes were quick but that was what you had preferred. You weren't going off to war but it wasn't going to be easy either. Kylo didn't even walk you to the transport. You boarded alone and departed alone with nothing but bags full of clothes.

You were a little relieved to see the familiar sights of the Finalizer when it came into view after a long flight of listening to Hux's yammering. You would have rather stayed on the base with someone you knew, but at least you knew your way around the massive ship... more or less. As the ship touches down, the Stormtroopers carry your bags up to your quarters, leaving you to do whatever you pleased. Whatever you pleased. Hm, you hadn't really thought about it that way. With Kylo back on Starkiller, nobody could give you commands except for generals. Being the commander's apprentice had its perks. A smirk tugs at your lips as you stroll coolly through the halls in your new robes. Maybe this wouldn't be half bad. Maybe people would finally start giving you respect.

That respect quickly goes down the drain when you slam into someone coming around the corner. And it hurt. You went right into a chest of thick white armor. You take a step back immediately, your cheeks flushing red. Then the embarrassment fades when your eyes catch on the familiar nick in the Stormtrooper's armor.

"Kess?" You whisper.

He grabs your wrist and you gasp as he yanks you through the door beside you into a small storage room. Kess rips his helmet off, letting it fall to the floor. He grips the sides of your face, his lips crashing against yours. Kess's tongue skims your lower lip and you quickly pull away. He didn't seem to think much of it since his hands were still holding onto your face.

"Where did you go? Nobody told me anything! I hadn't seen you in days and then you just disappeared." Kess's eyebrows knit together worriedly. "The commander didn't do anything to hurt you, did he?"

Not really. "No." You brace your hands on Kess's shiny chest plate that had collided with your chin just moments before. "Don't worry. I'm fine. Ren transferred me over to Starkiller Base for a week because of a delegate visit. Nothing serious, I promise."

Apparently this wasn't very convincing. "Why didn't you come see me before then? The last time I saw you was in the cafeteria. You know... when Kylo Ren nearly killed me."

How could you forget? You were so afraid for Kess's life. So convinced that Kylo was going to kill him then and there. How were you going to explain that your master was horribly jealous and forbade you from seeing him? There was no way you could tell Kess about your little 'affair' with Kylo Ren. It would break his sensitive heart. You couldn't do that to the man who had shown you more kindness than anyone else in the First Order. Even more than Kylo, but that wasn't very tough to beat. With all of this stress, you were beginning to grow flustered.

"I-I'm sorry," you stammer. "I was scared that he was going to hurt you again and-and I couldn't risk that. I-"

"Hey," Kess says softly, tipping your chin up. "Shhh, it's okay. It's alright. You don't have to explain yourself to me. I know you're important now. Next time just tell me before you take off. You nearly scared me half to death."