twenty-three

twenty-three; the narrative of john smith

1 week later.

I sat in bed as I watched Nurse Carrie come in and bring in some food for me. I stared at the TV, not saying anything to her. The TV was playing some stupid show and I just looked at it, for not wanting to deal with the embarrassment that came with losing my left leg.

I heard a knock on the door and I continued to stare at the TV, not daring to look at who walked in. Nurse Carrie came to my leg to change the gauze, but I threw the blanket over my leg, not wanting whoever walked in see her change it. She gave me a sad look and began speaking. "I'll come back to change that later, honey." She said and I clenched my jaw, still looking at the TV.

"Hey babygirl." I heard Derek say and I moved my gaze to look outside the window. "Hey." I said hoarsely and I heard as he sat down at the chair, next to my bed. "Where's Spencer?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I think he said something about getting coffee." I mumbled, watching as the bird flew by the window. I felt Derek's hand brush over mine and he held my hand. I felt embarrassed that he was in my room. I was upset and angry and I just wanted to be left alone, but the team, the nurses and my brother just didn't get that.

"When does therapy start?" He asked and I shrugged my shoulders, not remembering. Derek looked out the door and I heard Spencer say something to Derek and Derek got up and kissed my forehead then turned to leave the room.

Nurse Carrie came in and began changing the bandage on my leg. As she opened the bandage I quickly stole a glance at the stump, seeing it as disgusting. A tear fell down my face and I bit my lip.

3rd Person POV

Spencer and Derek sat outside the hospital room and Spencer handed Derek a coffee. "It's bad isn't it?" He asked and Spencer nodded, sipping the coffee. "She won't even look at her leg. Whenever they change the bandage, I'm ushered out of the room." Spencer said and Derek reached over and gripped his shoulder.

"Hotch came by earlier, and Hayley and Jack should be by later with Hotch today." Spencer said and Derek nodded. "Reid, you should go home and sleep in your bed." He said and Spencer shook his head.

"She needs me right now, I'm not leaving her side." He said and Nurse Carrie came out the room, 10 minutes later.

"We will begin Physical Therapy tomorrow, I'm not so sure if she'll want anyone with her or not. But she finished eating and she just went to the bathroom." She said and Spencer and Derek nodded.

4 hours later.

A knock at my door startled me and I saw Hotch walk in, with Hayley and Jack. Spencer stood up placing the book down and smiled at Hayley. "Hey Hadley." She said giving me a sad smile and I waved at her. Jack came into the room and he smiled looking at me. "Hadley! I missed you!" He exclaimed and I smiled at the young boy. "Jack, I missed you too." I said smiling at him, and he walked over to me and held my hand and I grabbed his hand smiling at him.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked and I smiled, nodding my head at him." Daddy and I worked a case the other night." He said and I tilted my head smiling at him. "Oh really? Who was our UnSub?" I asked and he sighed, holding onto Hayley's hand. "It was the monster under my bed." He said and I smiled softly. "They won't hurt you again, I promise." I said and he nodded. "When will you work with my daddy again?" He asked and stopped Hotch from talking, avoiding his eyes.

"In about a couple of months. I have to heal." I said smiling at him and he nodded smiling. I tried not to look at Hotch or Spencer as I basically said that I wanted to go back to work and continue my job.

After Hayley and Jack left Spencer began talking to Nurse Callie outside and Hotch came in, looking at me. "What was that?" He asked and sat up looking at the TV. "What was what?" I asked and he tilted his head. "What you told Jack. Hadley, you need to-" He said but I cut him off. "I want to go back to the FBI, Hotch. I want to become a profiler. " I said and he looked at me, like I had grown another head.

"What?" I asked and he clenched his jaw. "Last time you tried that you almost died Hadley." He said and I shrugged my shoulders. "I can't sit here anymore, not doing the one thing I love!" I exclaimed and he shook his head. "No." He said and I tilted my head, challenging him.

"If you tell me no, I'll go to another state where they have a BAU and I will work there." I stated and he walked out the room angry. I shook my head and sighed, looking at the TV again.

The day passed and I sat up on the hospital bed as I saw two new men walk into the room. One was about 5'10 he had black hair and dark blue eyes while the other one who was much taller had red hair and green eyes. Spencer stood up and they walked up to us. "I'm Brody Grassi, this is Gabe Maldonado, we're going to start physical therapy with you, Ms.LaMontagne." Brody said and I nodded, looking at Spencer.

"Are- are you going to have to look at it?" I asked disgusted and Brody nodded, and he reached for the stump. The red haired man- Brody, placed his hand on it and I averted my gaze out the window, not wanting to look at it. He didn't take it out just peaked under the gauze. "It looks healed, we're going to start today with getting the muscles back to working, next week we'll use a fake prosthetic."He said and I nodded, understanding. He stood back up and talked to Gabe.

I looked over at Spencer and I grabbed his hand. "You can go if you want to." I stated and he shook his head looking down at me. "We haven't finished the Narrative of John Smith yet." He said and I breathed out looking at him. "Okay." I said and he nodded, and he stayed with me the entire time during physical therapy.