Kuroko vs Envy

"Let our friends go," Kuroko called out to the cloaked figure who called herself Envy.

"Hmm," Envy said, pretending to consider Kuroko's request. "I probably wouldn't if I could, but to humor you, let's say I would. I can't though, because none of your friends are here. You two chose the wrong route."

"So we don't have anything to do with you then." Kuroko huffed. "Surrender and tell us where our friends are."

"Oh I can't." Envy said. "You see this area is restricted to only let the survivor leave. If you can't kill me you will not be able to leave. When I kill you, I can leave. It is sort of a, as your science people say, failsafe to make us fight."

"What kind of sick game is that?" Mikoto asked wide eyed. "You actually want us to fight to the death?"

"I don't know why you two are so scared." Envy told them surprised as she jumped down into the ring. "You two are part of the haves, not the have nots. You should be used to towering over others."

"What are you talking about?" Kuroko asked. She did not trust this woman, but with Mikoto next to her, she was confident they would win. She did however reach down to her thigh and touched a couple of her spikes

"You two are powerful ability users of Academy City." Envy explained but with an air of boredom. It was like explaining the same thing over and over again to an idiot. "So obviously you had the potential to reach those levels. Lots of other people in that city will never reach the level you two are at. They are the, have nots."

"That is not a fair comparison at all." Kuroko said. She had heard this argument before from a lot of delinquents who caused trouble in the city during Judgment. They always used it as an excuse to explain their problems and to just give up. When Kuroko came to the city, she did not expect to develop a high level ability, but she worked hard and managed to reach level 4. She turned and looked at Mikoto. She knew how hard Mikoto worked in order to achieve level 5. 'Envy must have been someone who didn't succeed and found it easier to blame others. I guess that explains her name.' Mikoto was looking at Envy with a sour look on her face.

"I worked extremely hard to hit level 5." Mikoto retorted. "I didn't just start at that level. Anyone can be strong if they work hard. I'm proof of that."

Envy just laughed at them. "You poor deceived girls, you say you worked hard, and I don't doubt that. But how many other thousands of people worked hard and still did not reach the same level as you. There is more to power than just hard work. Luck and fate plays a large part of it too."

"I'm not going to listen to you anymore!" Kuroko declared. "I am going to detain you for kidnapping and force you to tell us where you have our friends." She teleported right above Envy and delivered a kick right at her head. To her surprise, Envy faded right before Kuroko hit her and reappeared a couple feet to her left. Envy swung a small dagger at Kuroko, but she teleported away instantly landing daintily on the ground fifteen feet away. "You can teleport too?"

"I have a lot of abilities." Envy said smiling. "If you last long enough you might be able to see more of them." She turned to Mikoto. "You might want to help your friend or she might end up with a knife in between her ribs." Mikoto glared at her for a moment.

"Kuroko take a step back!" Mikoto said and Kuroko nodded teleporting further away from Envy. "You might regret saying that." She shot a bright bolt of electricity from her hand at Envy. Envy didn't teleport, like Kuroko expected, but instead simply held out a hand. The electricity headed directly towards her, but right before it came into contact with her hand, the electricity flew up into the air eventually disappearing. "How?" Mikoto asked in shock. Kuroko was stunned too. Envy had easily deflected a level 5 ability like it was nothing.