New Light

"Wow," Kazari said as they looked up at the St. Bride's church. "It's so tall." She was right. It was the second tallest church in London and clearly visible in all directions as it stood 226 feet high. Its main floor was a rectangle base, but its height was mainly attributed to the great spire that reached up towards the sky. It took them a little while to get here, by the time they left St. George's Cathedral and went through the midday traffic of London.

"It kind of reminds me of a wedding cake," Ruiko commented looking at the spire.

"Let's go in," Kuroko urged. "We should take a quick look around, and then head out. We need to be meeting everyone else soon anyways." She of course was going to see if the rumors were true, but she also knew they were supposed to meet the others for a late lunch. I don't really like Mugino and her friends, but they are part of our group while we are here.

"Yay Misaka cries as Misaka rushes in to see if the rumors are true." Kazari had to reach down and quickly grab Last Order before she ran in and collided with someone. Kazari was not that strong and it was slightly difficult for her to slow down an excited Last Order.

"There is no reason to run," Kazari said quickly to her. "The church is not going anywhere and you don't want to bother other people." Last Order looked at her and nodded. She slowed her pace and walked with everyone else though she kept fidgeting with anticipation.

"Do you think the rumors are true?" Esther whispered to Misaki.

"I don't think so but, with magic being real, it could be possible. I still bet it is just a rumor for tourists." She said 'Of course, I am going to try anyway since Misaka is not here.'

"That's what I thought," Esther said, looking slightly crestfallen. "Be fun anyway to see if it might be true." Misaki nodded and they went in.

Itsuwa was the last one to enter the church since Agnese had not gone with them. Agnese had been called away on her phone shortly before they left. She had heard of the rumor circling the church before, if you pray for love you would find it. There was no verifiable evidence the rumor was true, but even Itsuwa wanted to try it while she was here. 'I need to be more aggressive, and do anything to give myself an advantage. I still wish I knew how Kamijou was doing in front of the Queen.'

The inside of the church was more modern than St. George Cathedral. Its interior was spacious and elegant. The main aisle was long, easily 100 feet, with molded wainscot, and was composed of a lofty nave, covered with a vaulted ceiling, and aisles separated by coupled columns. It was not very crowded, with only an occasional person passing them, and they approached the altar. When they got close, a woman dressed in nun clothes approached them. "Hello," she said smiling. "May I help you?"

"Ah yes," Itsuwa said, stepping forward. "These ladies are visitors to England and have heard of the legends of finding love by praying at this church. They would like an opportunity to try."

"That sounds nice," the nun replied, her smile not leaving her face. "Many people come here hoping to find love. The practice is quite simple." She pointed to the altar. "You just need to kneel before the altar and pray you and the one you love will find happiness together."

"Does it really work?" Kuroko asked, still a little skeptical.

"It all depends on your belief," the woman responded kindly. "If you truly love the person, there is no reason why it should not be possible."

"Ok," Kuroko said nodding and, since she was the closest, walked up first and knelt before the altar. They could all see the concentration on her face as she closed her eyes. They all knew what she was praying for. A moment later, she came back to them and shrugged. "Now to see if it works." She didn't feel like anything had changed and then felt a little embarrassed at her action. 'I believe in science and still did something as unorthodox as this. England is a strange country.'