TEN. house of heartbreak

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

It should be against the law to force an underage child into a library that hadn't been opened for centuries until now. Unfortunately, it wasn't an official law in England, so River Lawrence had to suffer the worst today.

It was the day of the bid for the exhibition, which was being held at the Frobisher Libray. If Amun Academic Boarding School won it, then the exhibition would be set up in the Frobisher Library, so a lot was riding on today.

Because majority of those who volunteered to help with the exhibition came from Anubis House (those being Mara Jaffary, Joy Mercer, Fabian Rutter and Nina Martin), all Anubis House residents (including their housemother and their caretaker) had to be present to help set up in the Frobisher Library before Mr. Gustav Ziestack arrived.

The Anubis House residents were seated at the dining table (bar Alfie and River, who stood by the countertop and each had a croissant in their hands) as Joy arrived in the room. River knew Joy could be very bossy and demanding, but in the end, she always got what she wanted, and today was going to prove that.

Joy sat her clipboard down as she approached the group, standing behind Nina's chair. "Right, everyone. Today's the big bid." Jerome got up from his seat and stood behind her, mocking her with his hands and mouth, earning a few snickers from his prank-loving friends. "Fabian, film finished? Mara, speech learnt?"

"Yeah, yeah," Fabian replied in a monotone.

River felt Alfie nudged her shoulder and before she could scold him about almost dropping her croissant, he pointed to Jerome. The blonde boy had a mischievous smile as he messed around with Joy's clipboard. River let out a sigh before taking another bite into her croissant.

"What?" Mara uttered after a moment, seeming deep in thought. "Oh. Yeah."

Joy delightfully grinned. "Excellent! And we expect everyone to be there, giving their full support." Jerome grabbed her clipboard and handed it to Joy. "That means you too, Jerome."

"Of course," Jerome replied. "Here you are."

Joy took her clipboard, uttering a thank you before heading to her seat, while the troublemaker approached his friends with a smug smile.

"What did you put on Joy's clipboard?" Alfie inquired.

"Please tell me it isn't something that'll tick her off," River hoped. "When Joy gets all business, it's best not to mess with her. She can get really annoying."

"Don't worry. It won't tick her off," Jerome said before letting out a chuckling. "It's nothing. It's just Fabian's poem."