SIXTY-THREE. house of tricks

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The second Victor unwrapped the handkerchief and revealed the fate of the amulet, River's stomach dropped. The amulet, the one that opened the door, was now in tiny pieces on the table.

"Like I said, I, uh, might've gone a bit wrong," Alfie nervously admit. River shot him an incredulous look. A bit wrong? A bit wrong? He was supposed to do a usual swap, not go all crazy and smash the damn thing!

Silence filled the room, with Victor giving Alfie a dead look and Alfie trembling under his stare. For the first time in her life, however, River shared the mutual feeling with Victor. Suddenly, someone's amused laughter broke the silence. Gustav's amused laughter and River couldn't help but give the man an odd stare. Mr. Sweet soon began laughing after him and so did Alfie, but much forcefully.

"Victor, you ruined this poor lad's trick!" Gustav laughed.

"You ruined the poor lad's trick," Alfie repeated through his laughs, and to River, they almost sounded like real laughs.

"Leave us!" Victor demanded.

The members of Sibuna didn't hesitate to leave the area and head upstairs. River and Fabian were the first to enter the girls' corridor and the two waited by her bedroom door as everyone entered. River held the same infuriated face on her face like everyone else did and it only grew when Alfie finally entered the corridor. He was the last one up and, for some weird reason, he looked as happy. River and Fabian stepped in and stood by their friends as Alfie finally entered and closed the door.

"Alfie, I can't believe you ruined our only chance at getting through that hidden door!" Nina expressed her disbelief.

"What's the matter, Nina?" Alfie calmly asked, only causing River to grow more confused at his calm attitude. "Don't you believe in magic?"

Alfie rubbed his hands together and in a second, the amulet appeared there. River widened her eyes as she chuckled in disbelief, while Alfie put the amulet around his neck with a smirk.

"Alfie..."

"Okay, I definitely regret doubting you," River said.

"Why did you do that?" Amber asked.

"Well, I couldn't do a standard disappearing trick," Alfie informed them. "He'd always assume we had it. I had to make him believe it was destroyed."

"You didn't think to share?" Patricia inquired.

"Yeah, it would've been nice to not have been overcome with anxiety during your act," River remarked.