FORTY-SEVEN. house of sorry

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Noah got up from his seat and turned to a shocked Jerome, asking, "What took you so long?"

"Alfie. He took my phone and I made me practice for longer than necessary," Jerome exasperatedly explained.

As soon as Joy, Trudy, Patricia, and Mrs. Andrews left a tearful Mara, the pair of roommates made their way over to her.

"Mara, I'm so sorry," Noah told her with a frown.

"Mara, are you okay?" Jerome asked her, although the obvious was evident.

Mara stood up, her teary eyes on Jerome. "Where were you? I looked for you."

"I'm sorry. I was with Alfie. He's been—"

Just on cue, the boy in question entered the student lounge/drama room, pushing a ping-pong table along. "Gangway! Gangway! Gangway! Major sporting event to set up!"

"Alfie, stop!" Jerome told him, looking between the jokester and the nerd who just got expelled. Mara sighed, walking past Jerome and Noah. "No, Mara. Stop, please. Wait!" Mara didn't wait but instead hurried her way out. Noah sighed, looking at the mess that just unfolded, as Jerome threw an exasperated look to Alfie. "What are you doing? What are you doing?"

"Prepping you for the biggest match of your life," Alfie nonchalantly explained as he stacked two chairs. "Now, drop and give me 15. And this time, no crying."

Alfie blew into his whistle, causing Jerome and Noah to grimace at the noise, with the troublemaker expressing his irritation. "Alfie! You're fired!"

As Jerome stormed out, Alfie glanced to him and then to Noah with a confused look. "What did I do?"

Noah pinched the bridge of his nose, staring incredulously at Alfie. "Read the room, dude. Mara just got expelled."

After a beat of silence, realization hit Alfie. "Oh."

. . .

"Expulsion?" River inquired, sharing a shocked look with Amber. Patricia and Joy, who informed the female prankster and the fashionista of the outcome of Mara's trail, nodded their heads with frowns. Amber and River sat on top of their decks, with Patricia and Joy doing the same on theirs, as the four girls raveled the news of their friend being expelled. "Okay, detention I get. Suspensions would've been okay, but expulsion? That's a bit drastic."

"How's Mara doing?" Amber asked Patricia and Joy, as they hadn't seen Mara since they ran off to the tunnels.

"Not so good," Joy answered. "We haven't seen her since."