SIXTY-FOUR. house of whispers

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Usually, Noah would head to the art room or straight to the house after school, but this afternoon was another meeting for the News Website Club. As he made his way to the English classroom where the meetings were usually held, someone called his name. Noah recognized that voice and let out a sigh before turning around. Walking to him was his ex-roommate, Shawn Lawrence. The two hadn't talked since last term, so Noah wondered what he wanted.

"Look, uh, I know this is probably weird, me coming to you," Shawn began and shocking Noah, he was quite nervous.

"Oh, why? Because you refuse to acknowledge your sister's existence because she discovered a part of herself you disagreed with?" Noah sarcastically remarked with his arms crossed. "No, yeah, that's the reason."

"That's what I wanted to talk about," Shawn said. Noah was about to turn around, but Shawn grabbed his shoulder. "Please, Noah, I-I want to fix things."

As Shawn dropped his arms, Noah narrowed his eyes at him. "You're serious?" Shawn nodded. "What's with the sudden change of heart?"

"Well, our parents are got divorced and my mum's moving back to America and I'm going with her at the end of the school year. I just don't want River and me to end up like my parents. She's... She's my little sister; I don't want to lose her forever."

Noah's features softened. It truly seemed like Shawn was being genuine and he wanted to fix things between him and River.

"Wait, your parents got divorced? And you're moving?" Noah questioned in shock.

"Yeah, didn't River tell you?" Shawn asked and Noah shook his head. "Huh, I thought she would've. You two are pretty close, almost like brother and sister."

"No, she's my best friend. You're her brother and I'm going to help you."

"Wait, really?" Shawn's face fell in disbelief, but when Noah gave a nod, he smiled. "You're a good person, mate."

"Noah!" At the sound of his name, Noah turned around to meet a furious Joy standing by the doorway of the English classroom. "Get inside or get kicked out."

"I'll be there in a sec," Noah replied.

Giving a quick nod to Shawn, Noah didn't hesitate to follow Joy's orders and get inside. Things were going to be different now since Joy was basically the boss and Mara wasn't anymore. As Noah took the seat between Eddie and Patricia, Joy turned her attention to everyone.

"Listen up, people, it's time for a shakedown," Joy said. She went to the board which held paper and flipped over one page to reveal another one filled with writing. "This website is stepping it up a gear. There's a whole world of eyeballs out there and it's our job to grab them with our hot, punchy stories. And after some regrettable lapses in journalistic standards, we need a new identity, starting with the name. So from now on, we call it 'The Jackal'."