FIFTY-TWO. house of laments

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Rising to his feet from behind the table was Alfie Lewis. But what River saw made her eyes go wide as she opened mouth, because Alfie didn't look like the Alfie she saw less than five minutes ago. Instead of a seventeen-year-old boy, Alfie was now a nine-year-old kid dressed in his uniform which was way too big for him.

"Who is that?" Joy asked.

River glanced back to her, a shocked look still hanging over her face. She almost forgot that Joy was in the room. How were they going to explain that the little boy was Alfie who just got deaged because of a curse from an Egyptian spirit named Senkhra?

"Uhm, it's... it's Alfie's little brother!" Nina said, quickly covering up the truth behind Alfie.

"Flash," River added with a grin, remembering one time how Alfie expressed his disappointment that they named him Alfred instead of Flash. "Flash Lewis." That earned her odd stares from her club mates and from Joy. "What? Don't blame his parents."

"He's only visiting."

Nina began to guide a confused kid Alfie out, prompting River, Fabian, and Amber to gather their things and stand up. Joy, however, still had a lot of questions for 'Flash'.

"Why is he dressed that way?" Joy questioned.

"That is so on-trend for preteens," Amber uttered an excuse, and being the fashionista she was, it was convincible. "You know nothing."

Kid Alfie, Nina, and Amber filed out as River and Fabian gave Joy one last uneasy smile, with the nerd saying, "Uh, we should be getting back to the house soon."

River gave Joy a thumbs up as she and Fabian exited the room, with Fabian almost tripping on his feet. All of a sudden, Amber came back to the door and looked at Joy.

"Are you sure this is too much?" Amber inquired.

"Amber!" River hissed her name before pulling her friend back by her arm.

. . .

One by one, the members of Sibuna rushed into their house with their joke-loving member still a kid. Nina and Fabian hurried upstairs with Kid Alfie in front of them, while River and Amber stepped into the hall and met Patricia's wide-eyed stare.

"It's a short story," River explained to the confused goth pixie.

"Yeah, don't ask," Amber said as her face fell in realization. "Oh, you can't ask. That's good."