THIRTY-SEVEN. house of hacks

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Considering River, Amber and Nina went to get their books as an excuse to check on the dollhouse, they actually had to do school work. River found herself getting tired of the Physics equations she was doing and wishing that she was instead lazing around like Eddie, who was sleeping on the couch. Or doing something else like play on her phone (which was what Jerome did) or make silly doodles (Noah was doing the same) or just goof around (Alfie was attempting to juggle).

Unfortunately, she had to stick to her lie, which was how she ended up sitting around the dining table and doing work alongside Fabian, Mara, Amber, and Nina. Vera was there too, although she was keeping an eye on everyone, especially since Patricia disappeared.

River didn't know where the goth pixie ran off to, but that matter didn't seem important. The amulets were safe and, according to Noah, Jerome, and Alfie, Murray the Goose was also safe. The boys just had one tiny little problem left — getting the pet food.

"The search is complete," Victor announced after what felt like an eternity as he stepped back into the living room. "You may return to your rooms."

His announcement caused many people to stand up from their seats, including Noah, Jerome, and Alfie who approached their caretaker and housemother. While Noah and Alfie were set on distracting Victor and Vera, Jerome would be getting the package of RuffRuff's pet food.

"So, uh, Victor," Alfie started, "didn't find anything there?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary?" Noah asked with a chuckle. "Or nothing that didn't resemble a human being?"

"Yeah. Like no, uh, four-legged friends? No web-footed fouls?"

From behind Victor and Vera, Jerome gave his friends incredulous looks. But their words worked as a distraction for the two adults, so the troublemaker began slowly stretching his arms to the package.

"No," Victor denied their random questions as Jerome's hands grasped the package. "No, but if I do, rest assured, there will be consequences."

Seeing that Jerome now had the package and was hiding it behind his back, Noah and Alfie quickly glanced at each other before the former nodded with a smile. "Of course there will be, sir." Noah lifted his fist toward Victor, but the man just stared at it with an unimpressed frown, causing a sheepish Noah to lower it down, muttering, "Not a fist pump kinda guy, I get that."

"Uh, so, it was all just a..." Alfie began, "wild goose chase then?"

Noah snorted at the comment while Jerome widened his eyes, vigorously shaking his head for the jokester to shut up. They were already in the clear, they didn't need to throw subtle hints that they actually had a wild goose in Anubis boarders.