TWENTY-SIX. house of payback

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Sibuna yelled out Fabian's name, letting out exclaims to be careful and hold on tight. If he lost his grip, the beam would go down and Fabian with it. Luckily, Alfie jumped to Fabian's side, helping him pull the beam back by the rope, while the Sibuna girls tugged the beam back by its tail.

When most of the beam sat on the ground, Patricia, Nina, and River quickly sat down on it. Breaths of relief mixed with Fabian's pants echoed through the tunnels. That was too close. River, Patricia, and Nina stood up again, still taken aback by what just happened.

"Hey, don't worry, guys," said the assuring voice of their American leader. "We'll figure something out. We'll practice and get it next time. We're Sibuna, right?" Nods of agreement were passed around the group before Nina covered her eye. "Sibuna?"

The rest of the mystery solving club mimicked her actions. "Sibuna."

The members of Sibuna headed through the tunnels that led back to the antechamber. Once they all passed through the bookcase, they took off their amulets and set them down on the dusty desk. Fabian turned the bookcase back around and the group was about to head out until Nina threw her arms out, halting their steps. River furrowed her eyebrows and opened her mouth to ask what Nina was doing, but a rattling from outside the secret door was heard through the room.

Nina stepped forward to the door, shushing her friends before peering through the peephole. It felt like an eternity, but Nina finally turned back to the group after a few seconds, letting out a relieved sigh. "The coast is clear."

. . .

The blonde and brunette duo of Anubis House stepped through the corridors of their school, only stopping once they reached Alfie Lewis, Jerome Clarke, and Noah Michaels. The three boys stood by their lockers, cutting their conversation short when the two female roommates approached them.

River didn't know why they stopped there, because she thought she and Amber were only going to the bathroom. However, Amber said she needed to give Alfie something important.

"Alfie, be a rack while I visit the little girl's room," the blonde took off her shoulder bag and hung it on the outstretched arm of a perplexed Alfie. "I don't like it touching the floor."

River scrunched up her face in bewilderment but followed her friend with her bag in hand to the girl's bathroom. The boys of Anubis House watched them leave, bafflement etched on their faces.

"Do you guys think Amber and I are compatible?" Alfie asked.

"I don't think anyone's compatible with Amber," Jerome gave his honest answer. "Except Amber."