TWENTY-NINE. house of help

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Getting some sleep when you've discovered that you and your friends have all been cursed by an Egyptian spirit wasn't easy. River's head ached as she sat in her bed, rubbing her eyes and letting out a yawn. Even though her head ached, something much, much painful was on her upper thigh. The Mark of Anubis. Nina already had it and now the female prankster and the fashionista had it. River wondered — well, she hoped — that Fabian, Patricia, or Alfie didn't get it.

The only positive side about the Mark was the fact that it was on her thigh, so her school skirt/jean would hide it easily. Whereas Amber Millington had the Mark exposed on her ankle, which prompted Nina to dig around for long socks. River now leaned against the board of her bed with one of her hands rubbing the migraine evolving in her head.

"I don't know who I'm more scared of," Amber spoke up, taking another glance at her mark, "the spirit or my dad."

"My mum," River chimed in.

"Here." Nina turned around, heading toward Amber with a ball of socks.

The American handed the socks to Amber and sat down on her bed as the latter eyed them. "Okay. So I just have to wear long socks for the rest of Daddy's life," Amber remarked. "That'll look great around the pool."

Nina sighed, giving apologetic looks to her stressed roommates. "I'm so sorry, guys. I didn't want this for either of you. I just... I feel so powerless against this thing."

"I know. It's okay."

"Yeah, Nina, it's fine. It's not your fault." River added. "This just means we gotta work this much harder to get the Mask."

"Hey, we were with you anyway. Now we're just really with you."

The bedroom door opened and a fiery auburn-haired girl stormed in, showing the jackal imprint on her wrist. "What do you call this?"

"Membership," Amber suggested, pointing to her mark.

"You too?" Patricia asked before glancing at River.

The prankster lifted her short and pointed to the jackal imprint on her thigh. "You know, last term when I said we should get tattoos, this was not what I had in mind."

"Who else?" Patricia furrowed her eyebrows. River couldn't help but grow confused too. She didn't think Patricia would get it. She just hoped that Fabian or Alfie—

Alfie Lewis barged into the room, ruining River's hopes, and he pointed to the Mark of Anubis on the back of his leg, "I'm freaking out! I just acquired a tat overnight. I'm too young, it's illegal and if I had the choice, I would've gone for some fire-breathing dragon!"