SIXTY-TWO. house of magic

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Another door," Fabian sighed, expressing the same thoughts of every Sibuna member who sat around the dining table for breakfast. "We need that amulet now more than ever."

"Let's go over the plan," Alfie began and everyone's attention went on him. "Okay, I take the fake amulet, place it under my sleeve, then I take the real amulet from Victor and wrap it in a handkerchief. Then I take off my shoe and smash it!" River visibly grimaced as she took a bite out of her toast. "Don't worry, that bit's an illusion. While Victor's panicking, I do a switch and give him the fake amulet in one piece. While Victor thinks he's got the real amulet, he hasn't because the Amazing Alfredo has kept the real McCoy."

"Huh?" Was all Patricia could utter.

"Alfie, I think I speak for everyone when I say your magic isn't that amazing," River voiced, while Alfie frowned at her.

"No. No, just do a... just do a standard switch. Please, Alfie," Fabian advised.

"Look, why don't you just take the real one, make it disappear, swap it and hand over the fake?" Nina said. "Victor's happy, Gustav's happy and we have our amulet back."

"Yeah, if you wanna be boring," Alfie complained.

"Oh, sorry, what time is it?" Fabian mocked as he held up his naked wrist where his watch used to lay. Alfie faked a laugh in response while River chuckled in amusement.

. . .

River stood between her two roommates in the dining room, watching with furrowed brows as Vera measured the placement of the utensils. The dining room/living room was not the same as it looked this morning. Instead, it looked like it belonged in some fancy restaurant. From the white table cloths on the table to the candles that sat on it too. From Vera's fancy dress to the lighting in the room. Everything looked perfect, all because Gustav along with Jasper and Mr. Sweet were coming. There were even a keyboard and a guitar on its stand in the room for Fabian and River's performance. The two agreed on performing the song Hallelujah by Bon Jovi.

Unlike her friends, River was part of the entertainment tonight. While Patricia was cooking supper and wore a chef's outfit, Nina and Amber were dressed like waitresses. River on the other hand was wearing a red blouse and a black miniskirt (thanks to Amber) along with a pair of Amber's black wedges. Her hair was styled in a fishtail side braid which Amber gladly did for her. Unfortunately, jeans and sneakers were a no-go because according to Vera, they would make an embarrassment of the school in front of Gustav.

"Make sure they are straight," Vera advised, mainly to Amber and Nina. Amber sent her roommates an annoyed look and River tried her best to keep her laughter in. "We don't want to give Mr. Ziestack the very best impression tonight."