TWENTY-TWO. house of deja vu

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Trudy cut a slice of her chocolate cake and handed it to Gustav, the judge of the competition. River watched the man take a bite a bit out of it and smiling at Trudy. "Very good." Trudy grinned in delight as the crowd applauded. Alfie tried to take the saucer of cake, but Trudy slapped his hand away and River snorted at her friend. The next cake was Vera's. She gave Gustav a saucer holding her slice. The man took a bite out of it and his whole face froze. "Oh." River furrowed her brows, wondering if it was that bad. She was proved wrong when the man continued. "Well, this is something special. It's... It's like a fine chocolate wine. Hmm! I'm afraid I must declare this chocolate nightmare cake the winner of the bake-off."

River frowned a bit but applauded along. Vera's cake won, but River would always prefer Trudy's baking. Mr. Ziestack pulled out a medal and was going to put it on Vera, but she stopped him and took it in her hand.

As the crowd dispersed, River let out a sigh. "Well, Alfie, it's time to hit the dance floor." She whipped her head to Alfie but found that he wasn't standing next to her. "Alfie?"

Her confused frown turned into a look of disbelief when she saw Alfie crouching by Vera's cake. The prankster shared an incredulous look with her former housemother before they both approached Alfie. The jokester had already taken a small portion of Vera's cake and stuffed it in his mouth before looking up with a guilty smile.

"Sorry," Alfie sheepishly apologized. "All's fair in love and cakes, Trudes."

"That's not the saying," River uttered, clasping her hand on Alfie's shoulder and pulling him away from the cake. As the two walked away from an upset Trudy, River asked, "Was that cake good?"

Alfie nodded his head, licking his chocolate-covered fingers. "I would sell my left kidney for it. That's how good it is."

. . .

Besides being a cake-addict, Alfie Lewis was a lover of scary masks. Instead of choosing a proper mask for a formal ball, like River remembered hearing Amber tell her boyfriend, Alfie wore his green Frankenstein mask.

Anubis's female prankster and jokester pushed the curtains out of the way and entered the hallway, with the former repeating her previous stance, "Amber is going to kill you."

On cue, Amber Millington entered the hallway with Fabian and Nina on each side. While the former couple laughed at the sight of Alfie, Amber's eyes widened.

"We agreed you wouldn't wear a Frankenstein mask," Amber rebuked.

"I know. I didn't," Alfie answered as the trio approached them. He took off his mask. "Frankenstein was the scientist, not the monster."