SEVENTY-SEVEN. house of dreams

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

It felt like forever as River stood there with her friends, taking in the sight of the Mask of Anubis. It was like they were all in a trance.

"It's so pretty," Amber remarked as she broke the silence. "For a dog mask."

"What are we waiting for?" Alfie inquired as he tried to step on the board again.

Alfie's antics, however, caused something to happen. River's eyes widened upon witnessing the Mask's glow disappeared and instead, a purple one came from the floor. Arising from the ground was another God of Anubis statue, but this one was much bigger than the rest and it stood in front of the Mask's case, guarding it.

"The golden prize will tempt the fool," the voice of Robert Frobisher-Smythe echoed through the chamber. "The wise should heed this golden rule."

"Frobisher-Smythe," Nina pointed out the obvious.

"This game of Senet you cannot win. Only the reckless will even begin. One wrong move will seal your fate, an end too dark to contemplate."

"Okay, what does that mean?" Alfie inquired.

"It means we have to be absolutely sure about the rules before we even think about playing," Fabian declared.

"We're thinking of playing?" Patricia asked in shock.

"We have to," River stated. "Or else we go bye-bye."

"Patricia's right. It's too dangerous," Nina agreed with Patricia, causing River to sigh. "This one, I do on my own."

"No. No, look, what if we need other players? Nina, I will not let you do this by yourself," Fabian argued. "Come on. We all got the mark together, not just Nina. We can do this."

The members of Sibuna looked at one another before they raised their hands over their eyes. "Sibuna."

. . .

Breakfast at Anubis House was different that morning because Noah had returned from his competition. Everyone was happy to see the jock-turned-artist back at Anubis and it seemed as the feeling was mutual. Despite the great experience, Noah missed his friends.

"Now, on to the most important question," River spoke once the laughter died down after Noah told one of his stories from the competition. "Did you win?"

"More importantly, how much money did you get?" Jerome added, earning a few chuckles around the table. With an excited smile, Noah pulled out his phone from his pocket. He went onto his camera roll and clicked on a photo before showing it to everyone.