TWENTY-EIGHT. house of impasse

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River Lawrence was a terrible swimmer. Whenever she went under the water, she couldn't last long, because she had to catch her breath. Holding her breath was always a challenge for her. However, right now, it seemed to be working to her advantage.

None of the Sibuna six moved a muscle as they froze in their spots, their faces filled with fear from the sight of Victor Rodenmaar standing against the bookcase. Victor didn't move either. He just stared at them. It was a staring contest and River wasn't sure how much longer she could hold out.

Then, breaking the silence was a voice. A recorded voice echoing the room that River didn't recognize. "To those who've trespassed where they don't belong, the beacon of light is your wanting song," from beside her, Fabian grabbed her and Patricia's shoulder and waved his hands in front of his eyes, mouthing, he can't see. River nodded in understanding as the recording went on, "Your eyes shall not see. All shall be dark until Ra completes blazing arc."

This must've been what happened to Amber and what caused her to go blind for a day. Ra was the God of Sun and River assumed blazing arc meant full-day cycle. She also assumed that the voice on the recording was Robert-Frobisher Smythe and this must've been a bobby trap because that was what the amulets were for. To protect them from the trap. However, she couldn't ponder on the booby trap for long, because Victor began stumbling forward.

In a beat of silence, the six teens dispersed in the small room. River backed up on one of the chairs beside the one Amber sat on. Victor threw his arms out, looking for the exit. Instead, they hovered above River, who tried to push herself further into the couch. Amber stood up to avoid Victor, but when his arms got near her, she crouched back down as the man patted the wall.

Thankfully, Victor moved away from the blonde and brunette on the chairs. But River still held her breath, watching as he stumbled toward where Patricia was crawling on the floor. Fabian pushed a chair in front of Victor, so Patricia wouldn't be found. However, Victor stumbled on it and almost hit Nina. Fabian pulled Nina to the wall he was against.

"Who's there?" Victor demanded.

Fabian pressed the button to open the door, and after what felt like a decade, Victor stumbled out of it. Fabian held up a finger for everyone to be quiet as the door slid shut. He walked up to the peephole and looked through it. After a beat of silence, he turned around. "All clear."

River let out the breath she was holding, mixing with the relieved breaths of her club mates. But they couldn't celebrate now. Victor knew someone was down there with him and the members of Sibuna would be his first suspects. The mystery club had to go back up to safety.