FIFTEEN. house of who?

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

In all her six years of knowing him, River Lawrence had never seen Jerome Clarke look so shaken. Whatever was on the letter must've been horrifying to read and hard to grasp, because the boy stayed silent, only looking up to the brunette girls with astonishment etched on his face.

After what seemed like an eternity, Jerome folded the letter and looked to the girls, uttering the last words River would've never expected. "He's not a judge, he's a criminal." Her jaw dropped; that was definitely an unexpected twist. Before any of them could speak further on the matter, a feminine voice from outside calling Jerome's name alarmed them. Poppy Clarke. Jerome quickly stood up and hid the letter under the packet, covering it with a blanket. He glanced desperately to his friends. "Don't say anything to her, guys, please." River nodded her head. Although she felt that Poppy should know what happened to her dad, it wasn't her place to say. This was a family matter and she knew a lot about family matters — getting involved was never a good idea. She was going to be there for Jerome though. He was her best friend and she was his. They needed each other. "Yeah. Come in!"

Poppy stepped in, glancing curiously between the trio. "Oh. Hi." She pointed specifically between Jerome and Mara. "Are you and the Gerbil an item now?" And then looked to River for confirmation. "Are they?" River pursed her lips as both Jerome and Mara shook their heads, saying no. Poppy looked like she didn't believe them though. "Oh."

"We'll leave you two to discuss," Mara began, grabbing ahold of River's wrist, "whatever."

River gave Jerome an assuring smile before her and Mara left the room. Upon closing the door, River spoke, wanting to clear the uneasy air, "I felt a hint of hesitancy when you answered Poppy's question."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Mara quickly responded, a blush creeping on her check as she made her way down the hall.

River shook her head in amusement and glanced back to Jerome's door. She really hoped that he was okay.

. . .

"I was doing you a favor," River spoke up. "It's called being nice. Rarely happens, so you should be thankful."

River wasn't surprised when she found out Noah was a bit angry with what she did. But as they made their way down the hallway to their English classroom, she tried to show him that she only meant well.

"You know what would also have been nice?" Noah rhetorically asked. "Staying out of my business."

"Why are you so insistent on this? I know you, Noah. You never back down from a challenge," River declared. The pair stopped in the corridor that led to their English classroom, with the headmasters office being behind them. "What's up? Seriously."