SEVENTEEN. house of chance

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Usually, the Anubis House kitchen was silent around the time of midnight. But now, it was occupied with a distressed girl, munching on a roll filled with chips. River Lawrence had, yet again, another nightmare about Rufus and Beatrice-Lake. She had gotten used to having her slumber disturbed by the traumatizing memories of the night of last year's prom, the near-death experience building up her anxiety.

Every nightmare just got worse and worse and River hoped they'd stop. But they didn't. It was like she kept finding herself being hit by the same waves of nightmares, pushing her deeper and deeper into the water. No matter how hard she tried to swim up, no matter how many times she tried to catch her breath, the waves always won. They pushed her down, filled her lungs with more water making it harder to breathe.

She inhaled sharply when she heard a light knock and whipped her head to the kitchen entryway. It was dark but she could make out who stood there. River let out a breath of relief before tearing her eyes away and taking another bite. She assumed he would've gone to wherever he was heading to, most likely the bathroom, but he stepped into the kitchen and leaned against the sink table with his arms crossed.

River could tell Eddie had just woken up from his messy hair to his groggy voice when he asked, "What are you doing up?"

"Eating," River muffled out a reply before swallowing down her contents. "Why are you up?"

"Well, I was going to the bathroom until you scared me. Do all English girls like to do that or is it just you and Yacker?"

River furrowed her brows, confused at the mention of the unfamiliar name. "Yacker?"

"The girl with red hair and a snarky attitude and likes to talk a lot."

"You mean Patricia?" She snorted and he nodded, confirming her suspicion. "Huh. First day and you've already gotten yourself an enemy."

"Yeah. Is she always so—?"

"Yes."

Eddie chuckled. "You guys seem close."

River shrugged. "Not really." She jumped off the counter and Eddie was about to head out until she called him, causing him to turn and face her. "I'm not buying it, by the way."

His eyebrows pulled together in perplexity and he crossed his arms. "Buying what?"

River put her leftover back in the fridge before sniggering and crossing her arms in an attempt to mock him. "The whole 'bad boy' act."