THIRTY-SIX. house of keepers

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The ringing of the school bell relieved River because finally, Mrs. Andrews' English lesson on Shakespeares' imagery was over. She and her fashion-loving friend grabbed their bags, along with the rest of the class who were standing up from their seats.

The sound of the chairs scratching the floor mixed with Mrs. Andrews' final announcement to the class. "Projects due in tomorrow, please. No excuses." The woman sent pointed looks to Anubis's prank-loving trio. "And Alfie, River, Jerome, we all know you don't have a dog, so that particular excuse won't fly."

River stood up and turned to her male best friends with an amused smile. "You know, one day, one of us will get a dog who'll eat our homework."

"But for now, we do have a goose," Alfie said. "That does fly." River and Jerome gave him a look, telling him to shut up, as there were strict rules against pets in the boarding houses. However, Alfie carried on with an oblivious smile. "And eats inappropriate things."

Shaking her head with an amused smile, River walked away from her friends and joined the small Sibuna gathering by the front desks.

"So what's the plan tonight?" Amber raised the question to Sibuna (bar Alfie, who most likely had a goose to fend to).

"We need to get better at dodging those spider threads," Nina informed them and River gave an agreeing nod. "More practice later?"

"Aw, you better count me out," Patricia uttered to the group as they headed to the door. "Detention date with El Victoro."

River tried to restrain herself from rolling her eyes at the thought of Patricia and Eddie, but her eyes managed to roll, earning a questioning look from Amber. Before River could explain further, a warm presence emerged from the door in the form of Trudy Rehmann.

River furrowed her brows, wondering why Trudy was in the school. Nonetheless, when the woman passed her and Amber, sending both girls grins, the blonde and brunette duo responded with equally delighted smiles before heading out.

Whatever the reason for Trudy's visit probably wasn't important. However, it was nice seeing her again. River did miss her former housemother.

. . .

Murray the Goose had definitely made an enemy of Noah Michaels's troublemaking roommate, Jerome Clarke. This was evident to Noah and Alfie who sat on their chairs around Jerome's bed. The goose was still sitting on the pile of newspapers just like yesterday, and Jerome's infuriated state was still on. He had to sleep on the floor because of this goose. He needed his gem ASAP.