FORTY-TWO. house of names

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Alfie's panick-stricken shrills echoed throughout the tunnels as they mixed with the Sibuna girls' worried shouts. River's worry for her best friend only grew more as he kept on moving with the same fearful expression on his face.

"It must be the yellow thread! It's making him hallucinate or something," Nina informed everyone, although that much was very clear. "Alfie, keep still!"

Yelling at Alfie to keep still wouldn't work, since he kept on moving for what seemed like an eternity. River's eyes darted between Nina and Alfie, thinking of the next thing she wanted to do. Nina wasn't getting closer to Alfie, but if she started making her way toward Alfie, she could reach him and calm him down.

"He's gonna hit a red one!" Amber yelled in fear.

The only thing running through River's mind was the fact that Alfie was getting closer to a red thread. Which only prompted her to rush forward and ducked through the first mix of yellow, red and silver threads.

"Wait, River," Patricia uttered her name, but the female prankster kept moving. Patricia knew that calling her back wouldn't do much. Alfie was in danger and River would walk through fire to ensure his safety. Patricia's eyes darted to Nina, who wasn't making much progress like River. "Move, Nina!"

"I'm trying!" Nina shouted back.

River's stomach dropped in fear. The closer she got to where Alfie was, the closer he got to the red thread of doom.

"Alfie, no!" Amber yelled.

"Alfie, no, no!" The voice of Alfie's savior came in the form of Fabian Rutter, rushing toward the group and into the weave of webs. River stopped where she was, relief flooding her as she watched Fabian quickly make his way to Alfie. Fabian managed to stop Alfie from moving and calm him down as he grabbed ahold of his arms. "I got you."

Although she was glad about her best friends' safety, River couldn't help but send a scowl to Nina. "None of this would've happened if you just listened to us."

Nina let out a sigh as guilt flooded her, knowing that River was right. She looked to Alfie with sorrowful eyes. "I'm so sorry, Alfie."

"Okay, let's get you out of here," Fabian gently spoke to Alfie, guiding him under the threads. "Nice and slow, nice and slow."

. . .

You'd think that being in a class for Biology, River Lawrence would be doing the required work for the subject. Instead, she was finishing up her Maths homework she didn't complete last night, as she had Maths next lesson.