FIFTY-FOUR. house of alibis

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Fabian, River." Trudy gasped, stepping forward to the broken case. It looked like finding that missing instrument could wait for River and Fabian because they had another problem on their hands — how to tell Trudy that it wasn't what she thought it was. "What did you two do?"

"Something!" River answered though the smile on her face told Trudy otherwise. "I mean, something. Yay!"

"River, this is not a laughing matter," Trudy spoke, a serious look on her face, one that River had never seen before. "What happened here?"

"I..." Fabian began, pulling his eyebrows together before sighing. "I can't remember."

"Oh, come on, you two. You're gonna have to give me more than that."

"I... I'm really sorry. I can't."

"Trudy, we did something," River said, but Trudy still didn't believe her, not with her giddy attitude. "It's us, River and Fabian, do you really think we wouldn't steal an exhibition?"

Just as things were getting worse for River and Fabian, the door opened, and in stepped Jasper Choudary. His eyes immediately landed on the broken case and they went as wide as saucers.

"What?!" Jasper exclaimed. He stepped toward the case, looking disheartened as ever. "My... My artifact!"

"Jasper, it's the ox bell," Trudy informed him. "It's been stolen."

"But it's priceless."

"Yes, and Fabian and River were the only people on the scene. Fabian's suffering from a rather convenient memory loss, while River is looking as guilty as ever."

"It's really not convenient," Fabian argued. "And... And River's going through a phase."

"Why wouldn't we steal an ox bell?" River raised the question to the two adults. "We aren't teenagers—"

"Look, this," Jasper cut her off, glancing her and Fabian's way, "can't have been anything to do with you two, right?"

"That's what we're trying to tell Trudy," Fabian insisted; River deciding it was best for him to speak for them both.

Trudy scoffed, still not believing the teens. "And you two would be the last people I'd suspect, but it didn't look good when I walked in."

"Trudy, it's clear that a theft like this isn't in Fabian's character," Jasper reasoned. "And what I've heard so far from Fabian, it isn't in River's character either."