Chapter 2: A Certain Vending Machine

"ZORO? RORONOA ZORO?"

Nami nudged the sleeping mosshead beside her as it was homeroom and the roll was being taken. She was currently looking at him, annoyed, while waiting for him to wake up. It was a full hour after the back to school orientation and she couldn't ignore the fact that there were a lot of new faces. And she couldn't also ignore that Zoro was still bad at directions.

The homeroom advisor, Miss Hina, had called his name for the nth time. "Roronoa Zoro?"

Nami nudged Zoro forcefully, making him waking up. "Huh? Morning already?"

"Stop sleeping during class, damn it!"

Miss Hina's voice called out again. "Zoro?"

"Yeah I'm here." he then turned to her. "it's not even a class."

Nami pouted. "Tch. You sleepyhead just doesn't get enough sleep every night. Oh, is that why your left eye is closed?"

"Mind your business, woman."

The bell rang, and it was time for recess. The two of them got up from their seats and shoved their bags on their backs before exiting the room as Nami then sensed that she was walking all alone.

"Zoro?" she huffed. "Where the hell are you?"

"Oi Nami, where the heck are you going?!"

She turned around to see him walking off towards an entirely different direction. Exclaiming, she ran up to him and grabbed his arm. "No, where are you going?"

"To the cafeteria,"

She folded her arms across her chest, "And are you sure it's that way?"

"Leave me alone, I can take care of myself."

"You probably can't so let's go," Nami began pulling him back, his feet dragging on the ground.

"Let me go you little witch!"

The cafeteria was bustling with students. Everybody had their own tables inside but of course, some had to go loiter around the halls of the school because there weren't enough seats for them. Luckily, Zoro and Nami's friends already got a table by the window near the vending machines.

"Nami!" a female voice called out from the direction. It was Nico Robin's.

The two approached the table and sat on opposite sides of the bench. Nami had her bag down in the ground, leaning against the foot of the table, as she patted down her skirt. She crossed her legs as she brought out her phone from the pocket. Zoro already had his brows furrowed upon sight of the blonde guy sitting across him.

Nami facepalmed upon hearing him say, "What are you staring at, you curly brows?"

It was one of their usual, pointless arguments but having them everyday, at least five times an hour, was exhausting. Nami stood from her seat and her left arm reached for the top of Zoro's head along with her right on Sanji's one, giving both of them a hard smack.

Robin only giggled at the sight. She was clearly enjoying this.

"Sorry we're late!" Luffy's voice rang somewhere and the next thing they knew, he was standing by the table with Franky and Brook. Usopp came from the restroom so he already had his bag on his space on the bench while Jinbe was already sitting quietly by the edge next to Chopper.

Jinbe was the newest of them all, for Luffy was almost hellbent on having him as his friend. Jinbe was a foreign exchange student, who happened to liken the school environment and so he decided to stay for good. The most significant encounter of him in the school was Luffy bugging him every single day to accept his request as his friend.