Chapter 23: Invitation

A/N: The story is officially done with the previous chapter. Yes, I should be doing something else right now, but I decided to update this story with couple more chapters that can be read as different arcs altogether. Some events are foreshadowed poorly by the previous chapters so watch out!

~~~

ANOTHER GREAT DAY to be alive.

Nami woke up to the golden sun winking down at her through the windows, barely grazing on her skin. She laid on her bed unaware of the time because, it was a Saturday.

Or rather, it felt like it.

"Nami! We're gonna be late for school!"

Then it struck her, it was only Friday.

Nami hurried on taking a shower and dressing up, which all in all took less than fifteen minutes, then rushed to their front door with her bag on her back. Nojiko was there, waiting, with a visible frown embedded on her face.

The older sister locked the door behind them as they headed to the bus stop.

"What took you so long?" Nojiko turned to her orange haired sister who was finger-brushing said locks.

"I thought it's Saturday,"

Nojiko groaned. "Really? You don't wanna see that boy of yours?"

"B-Boy?" Nami immediately thought of Luffy. She remembered the event on the rooftop when she almost threw his phone out the rails just so he wouldn't hear the entirety of the message.

She also remembered the upcoming dance.

"Do you have someone to ask to the dance?"

Nami hummed. "Maybe I'll ask one of my friends. If one of them turn me down, I still have six more options."

"Hopefully he's still free, right?"

"What?" Nami winced and the bus soom arrived, saving her the trouble of diverting her sister's attention.

It's been a while since they last talked like this. Because of the matter with a certain student in the school, Nami basically cut off her ties with everyone she was with on a daily basis. One of them was her sister, Nojiko, who was mad at that fact upon finding out.

Today, as usual, Nami had her wavy locks down but she kept a scrunchie by her at all times. Said hair draped on her left over her shoulder, from the bangs that she kept neatly.

"Is it just me or you're..."

She turned to her tanned sister. "Hmm?"

"...making yourself look..."

"Whatever that is, I'm doing it for myself." Nami chuckled and winked.

They reached their school. The great halls of One Piece Regal Academy smelled like eucalyptus, with hints of freshly baked toast coming from the cafeteria adjacent to the huge doors. Nojiko waved goodbye to her sister as she went to the senior lounge, for she had to help in preparing the needs for the upcoming dance.

Now that she thought about it, Nami pouted. She hadn't asked anybody yet but she already had someone in mind.

"Oh, Nami!!"

She hummed and turned around, seeing a raven haired boy waving and running towards her. He had his once present jacket missing. Only the vest sweater remained over his school shirt, like how Nami's one was. Although he still had the strawhat hanging by his neck.

"Good morning," she smiled sweetly.

Luffy returned the greeting, flashing his own toothy grin.

"You're early,"

He chuckled. "You're just late."

Her brow twitched in annoyance as she inched towards her, tugging her bag that hung by her shoulder. "Say that again?"

"I...I-I said 'yeah, I'm early'."

Nami was staring at his onyx orbs longer than she thought, and it made her cheeks warm up. She inched back and looked away, one of her eyes closed.

"Huh? Are you okay?"

She huffed and returned her gaze at Luffy. "Y-Yeah...just remembered something." her hand searched inside the pocket of her skirt. "What do we have first?"

The timetable that appeared on the screen of her phone answered her question. "Great...we have maths."

Periods one and two came and went, now the two were having recess at their usual spot in the school's cafeteria. It was also the usual run, having Zoro and Sanji arguing, Usopp telling his tall tales, and Jinbe enjoying the company. But then, Nami stood up from her seat.

"Where are you going?" Robin asked, crossing a leg over the other one.

"Toilet," she replied.

Luffy looked at her. "Are you sure?"

"Come on, guys. It's over," she chuckled. "I just need to go to the toilet right now."

"Want me to follow her, Luffy?" Robin asked their captain.

He immediately smiled and replied. "Nah it's fine. I trust Nami."

The orange haired girl felt her heartbeat speed up. "O-Okay...be right back."

As Nami went, another lady came to their table. This girl had gorgeous black hair and fringes that split her face at the middle, and she wore a recognisable white cape over her shoulders.

"Mellorine~!!!" Sanji's eyes morphed into hearts and he was then petrified.

The male students around them were also petrified in the process, since her presence itself was not to be reckoned with. She also possessed this one of a kind beauty that every man would dream of having by their side.

Luffy turned to her. "Oh, Hancock!"

"He said my name!!!" she swooned and almost fainted but she shook her head to get her mind straight. "I'm here to ask something."

"Shoot," he said to her.

"Well...I was wondering, if you could come with me to the homecoming dance?"

Usopp and Brook spit their drinks in unison as Hancock said that. The former coughed before he spoke, "Please tell me I'm dreaming."

"I'm not," Hancock flipped her hair. "now, Luffy, what's your answer?"

"Okay!"

Everyone looked at Luffy. Even Jinbe. Their eyes were widened at what their captain had said, surprised at his immediate response to the Pirate Empress.

Hancock's cheeks burned red and a huge smile crept on her face. "R-Really...?!"

"Yeah! You're asking me, right?"

She squealed and put her hands on her cheeks as she turned her back on him out of sheer excitement and joy. Remembering that she had got the answer she wanted, she faced him again and bid her goodbye. It was worth asking.

Just as Hancock disappeared from their sight, Nami came back from the toilet. She patted her skirt as she sat back down on her seat and noticed everyone's weird reactions. Everyone's but Luffy's.

"Uhmm...did I miss something?"