Chapter 4: Her Final Target

FOR THE NTH time since morning, Nami had a sly grin across her lips as she maintained her earphones on each lobe of the hearing sense organ and held her phone tight. Her smooth legs were crossed on the bench while she whistled. She was focused on gathering as much information as she could, for this task of hers was one of the most important ones.

Wiretapping. Nami had learned this skill when she was a kid and now she was finally applying it to her daily life. If it weren't for her involvement with a certain student in her school, she would not resort to this occupation of hers. Also, she once walked over broken glass to 'save' her family from the threats of a certain gang in the block by offering her abilities to their use so going through it again secretly would not be difficult, right?

"...as long as the weather allows it, the operation is a go." Nami's smile stretched once more as she ended her wiretapping, tucking the earphones to the pocket of her skirt and her phone still tightly held in one hand.

As the weather allows it, huh? she thought to herself. If she didn't know any better, she would come to the conclusion that it would be bright and windy until sunset. Actually, what she sensed earlier at the rooftop of their school told her otherwise; the pressure was dropping slowly and she took it as a sign that heavy rain was coming sooner or later. And yes, her forecasts were never wrong.

She scrolled through her phone and read the bold font on the screen, "LOOT". That was her goal; to gather a hundred thousand Beris to buy off her sister's safety. Everything felt like a deja vu to her. Years back she was in an encounter with that gang of thugs taking advantage of their 'wealth'. Nami despised every moment she had to work under their wing, and she wanted to run away but she knew very well what would happen to her sister and family. That, she couldn't stand. Lucky for her, a ray of hope was brought upon her and that ray of hope helped her with all his might, literally beating up that Arlong for 'making her cry'.

"Nami! Hurry up!" that certain ray of hope cried out, brushing up the raven black hair of his.

She looked up and saw her friends looking back at her with curious eyes. "Y-Yeah, coming..."

Friends. Nami never considered them her friends back then, for she was still focused on gathering Beris for the gang. There were four of them at first, but as time progressed, they found another five. Including her, their circle counted up to ten people.

"Nami-swaaan! Robin-chwaannn!" the blonde one, whose right eye was covered by his bangs, wiggled from the back to the side. "Mind if I walk with you?"

A certain green haired one exclaimed instead of Nami and Robin. "Shame on them if they agree."

The lively lad who just had his arms around the ladies' shoulders inched back, turning his head towards the other. "Shut up, Mosshead. I ain't even talking to you."

"Huh? What did you just say?!" it wasn't long until they were on each other's collars, only to be stopped by the reindeer-looking one. No he didn't butt into the argument but he was quick to block 'Mosshead's' path from the blonde lad.

The lady beside Nami chuckled, "It's always lively. I wonder if they ever get tired of it."

Nami rolled her eyes, "Probably not." then she pointed out that the raven haired one was cheering on the green haired, while the tall and skinny one was simply laughing at them. The bulky one was laughing along with the longnosed one as the mature-looking guy was watching them with a soft smile on his face. He probably had the same thoughts as this lady, Nami thought.

The blonde guy managed to land a kick on the greeny's thigh but the latter had one of his scabbards to block it.

"Oi Sanji, cut it off!" Nami called out. That Sanji turned to look to her, with his eyes morphed into hearts.