Chapter 24: Fire Fist and Nailing

A/N: Contains 'spoilers' from Ace's Novel volume 1. You have been warned.

~~~

PORTGAS D ACE had his hands inside his pockets as he walked across the halls of the school while whistling a tune. A tune so familiar that some students turned to his direction, whom he simply nodded his head. He noticed the decorations being put up by some of the student council members as he walked while silently wondering, "Who should I ask...?"

At his year group, there were many beautiful faces that could choose from. Not to mention, he was also one of those few guys that girls in the entire school swoon over. Ace didn't care about that, though, since he never really pondered his thoughts on women.

Until...

"Portgas D Ace!!!"

A call from the ladder a few metres away from where he was currently standing. He stopped because of the oh-so-annoying voice that called out to him.

She had a distinct, short vermilion hair that she kept from falling to her face by a pair of sunglasses that rested on top of her head, acting like a headband. As a good student, an image that she had to maintain, she always wore her complete uniform and never goes on sports days without the jacket.

"Need some help?" he smirked and teased as he turned around, facing towards her direction. "You can do it, just believe in yours–"

She dropped to the ground on her feet. "You're cutting classes again, aren't you?"

"No I'm not,"

She raised an eyebrow.

"I have a free period, okay? Now why are you out here? Pretending to be working on the decors to avoid classwork? Classic,"

The girl grunted. "No, I'm helping because I am a student council member."

"Really?" Ace huffed. He turned away and started walking. "Well then, charm ya later!"

She ran in front of him, making him halt. "You're coming with me."

"What?! I just said I have a free period." he brought out his phone. "Here, check my timetable. I ain't lying this time!"

She repeated, "This time...?"

"The point is, I didn't do anything wrong so leave me alone."

"How about the day before?"

He hummed.

"The week before?" she grinned. "The week before that?"

"Uhmm...."

Her name was Isuka. She was called 'Nailing' Isuka by most becaus eof her tendency to poke holes on delinquents; she leaves spots on their personalities. And she was also the 'chic that chases him around the school', which Ace told his brother about.

The boy grunted and let out a sigh. "What do you want?"

"Help me with the decors and I won't bother you until homecoming,"

Homecoming. Ace cocked an eyebrow. Would she say 'yes' if he asked her? He shook his head to get his thoughts straight. "Y-Yeah fine."

"Cool," she returned to the ladder and climbed, continuing on hanging up the banners by the walls. "you can hang that banner up next to this one."

"So much for my unbothered free period,"

Just as Ace started on doing what Isuka had asked him to, she finished on her one and proceeded with another one opposite to where he was. There were no other students present as of the moment; Ace thought it would be a good opportunity to ask Isu–

"Hey, speaking of homecoming..."

Isuka, even if he couldn't see it, raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Yeah?"

"I was wondering...I mean, you're coming right?"

"Yeah I am," she breathed. "can't let the work I did go unseen by me, right?"

"Right..." Ace replied as he also breathed while hanging the banner. "so then...can you go to the dance with me?"

Isuka blushed, "W-What...?"

"That's if you're not going with someone yet," he retorted, not seeing that she had turned to look at him. He looked so serious, Isuka felt a bit embarrassed doing that. "which I'm sure you–"

"No! No one has asked me yet,"

Ace felt his heart speed up but at the same time, he was relieved. How can Sabo keep up with the stuff he does for Koala when he himself couldn’t even get the confidence to ask a girl out?

"That's great!" he cleared his throat. "I-I mean, yeah cool."

Isuka stopped herself from smiling. She never felt so happy before; boys didn't even get the courage to go near her because she's a student council member, and yet Ace swiftly did just that. She thought, maybe she could fall in love with him...

He's good-looking, nice, got a lean body...but yes, he also couldn't swim. Isuka had witnessed him drown once in the school pool when they were doing a prac. The point was, Isuka knew there's more to Ace than meets the eye.

"So we're done now, right?" he huffed and put his hands on his hips. "Do you need anything else?"

"Well...they assigned me this part of the school only, so..."

"So we're done?"

"Yeah, yeah, we're done!"

Ace let out a relieved sigh. "Finally." he said upon walking away but he stopped. "Do you need help...?"

"Sorry?"

"Help, do you need help? Can't let a lady carry that thing back to where it belongs,"

"O-Oh," Isuka turned to the steel ladder that was against the wall. "Yeah sure. Thanks, Ace!"

"Don't mention it," he chuckled. "you're my date, anyway so it makes sense for me to act kind with you. The same goes for you, too."

She punched him lightly, on which he scowled. "Ow?"

"What does that has got to do with it?"

"Nevermind. All I'm saying is, you've got to stop running around the school hot on my tails."

Isuka pouted as they lifted the hundred ton ladder off the ground. "Even if I don't hate you personally, I just have to go after you."

"And why the hell would you do that? Why only with me? I mean, there are lots of other students at the school who had done much worse than I did,"

She hummed. "Let's just say, I like seeing you run away like a headless chicken."

"You evil woman," his eyebrow twitched. "all told, you're just doing your job. While keeping a safe distance from me."

"Safe distance?"

"Yeah, you always chase me but almost never catches up. Doesn't that count as a distance?"

Isuka shrugged. "Whatever you say, Ace. I'm coming back at you right after homecoming. For real!"

Ace laughed and glanced at the girl in front of her, just noticing her well-chiselled face. "I'd like to see you try!"

Was she always this...vibrant?