Chapter 42: Official

THE FOREFRONT EXHIBITION Festival had come and went. Like the event prior to it, the students were still hungover by the selects each stall have offered them during that surprisingly short day; a few undemolished stalls still stood but empty in the grandstand and at the front, banners hanging here and there, confettis still scattered at the front. The streetlight was also still ladeled with various posters for the schools' different stalls that were supposed to invite in outsiders, but its purpose now was to annoy the cleaners to remove it from the pole.

But what had happened a few days after the festival?

Simple.

Hancock had a heart-to-heart talk with Luffy, apologising for ditching him during the homecoming dance and ultimately asking him if she could do anything to make up to him. As usual, his answer was a big 'no' since he didn't want her to feel bad just for leaving him behind at the dance. Besides, if it weren't for that, he wouldn't have gotten to the dance floor with a certain orange haired girl who was not happy during that time...for some reason.

Luffy was not the type to recall events and 'think' but this time he was making his brain work. No, he was not actually thinking. It was more like his instinct telling him what to do; almost as if he had an inner voice guiding him on the things he was doing, and usually that voice was the one responsible for him getting into trouble or creating trouble. He remembered dancing under that blood moon that, according to 'Soul King' Brook, was supposed to bind people particularly dancing together underneath it.

Then does that mean his and Nami's souls were now...bounded?

If he would look at it that way, it would be unacceptable. He was the type of guy to value freedom so much that he disliked following rules...in Law's vocabulary, plans. If the thing about the blood moon was true, then he wouldn't do anything but try to break that 'bind' by all means.

But if one would tell him that it didn't necessarily mean 'bind', maybe Luffy would be okay with it. If they said 'destined' instead of 'bind', maybe he would take that as nothing important.

Anyway.

"So, what do you say?"

It was not Hancock who spoke but Luffy. He was facing the elegant-looking 'Pirate Empress' as they sat opposite to each other in the school library.

"Huh?"

"You said you're gonna make it up to me, right?"

"W-What? Why does this feel like a penalty game or something! Luffy, don't look at me like that or else I will faint!" Hancock breathed and finally spoke normally this time. "But since you insist...oh, what the heck? I am in no position to ask you to do anything for me. I was the one who left you at the dance, you know."

"True...but we didn't actually get to hangout after that."

Hangout. After school. Make it up to him.

Hancock had one thing in mind but she doubted he would agree. After all, Luffy was the same innocent-minded childish boy who valued his friends over himself. And this boy was simply playing into the 'make up to him' topic Hancock had opened up first.

"Let's see...how about this..." she whispered something to him. He was confused at first but he was getting the idea. Miraculously.

"Okay! Sounds good to me!"

~~~

"You know, I was thinking if I should finally confess to him or not. What do you reckon?"

NAMI ASKED THE timid-looking young maiden whose name was Nico Robin. They were both wearing their usual uniform, but Robin has the blazer on unlike Nami who only had the vest sweater, as they walked towards the cafeteria where their other friends sat on their usual spot. Everyone was there waiting for them, they could see.

Robin paused for a while to think. "Yes. I think it's high time for you to tell him how you actually feel. And if you're worried about him rejecting you, just remember that Luffy will never let things be awkward between the two of you."

"Thanks Robin...but why do you have to think that he'll reject me already? Just hearing that come out of your ever-so-frank mouth makes me tremble in fear!"

She laughed. "Sorry, didn't mean it like that."

They reached the bench where Usopp was having a chat with Chopper about his usual tall tales, Zoro and Sanji arguing about something stupid, and Brook and Jinbe cheering on Franky who was chugging down the cola. Someone was missing.

"Where's Luffy?" Nami asked no one in particular as they sat down on their spots.

"We don't know either," Usopp replied.

Jinbe added. "Maybe he's caught in detention again."

"True," Nami chuckled.

"Nami," the green haired guy, whom Sanji called 'Mosshead' somewhere during the course of their argument, was the one who spoke this time. "you seem to be looking for Luffy lately."

"Oh shut up, you."

Yes. Zoro knew about her 'feelings' for Luffy.

And, as if almost on cue, that missing person came walking towards them. He had a toothy grin that made them know he was happy even though not knowing the reason why. His cherished hat was hanging on his neck as he came closer and closer to them.

Sanji noticed that stupid smile. "Hm? Did something good happen?"

"Hancock." Luffy replied immediately. "We're official!"

At that, Nami felt her heart squeeze. Was she just hearing things or Luffy did just say 'official'? And with Hancock? The 'Pirate Empress' herself?

She subconsciously dropped her phone on the table, making a loud noise. That made the nine of them look at her with blinking eyes but even if she had a smile on her face, their blonde haired cook noticed that it was 'broken'.

"Nami-san..."

The girl with the broken smile stood up, her eyes shadowed by the orange bangs on her face. She held up her arm, not with ease, as she reached for Luffy's shoulders. There, she faced him. She faced the smiling face that was caused by a girl. A girl whom he accepted and therefore the result of them being 'official'.

"Luffy..." she said. "I'm so happy for you!"

The smile vanished from Luffy's face for a while when he noticed tears running down Nami's cheeks, but then returned when he heard her ply.

"That's great to hear!"