Chapter 53: Another Day

"Luffy! You finally did it!!!"

"Our crybaby brother is all big now...!!!"

THEIR SHARED DORM was now empty. Without the three girls who were their partners for the Silver Bell Ball, the ambiance became as quiet as ever, if it wasn't for the three brothers wreaking havoc every now and then. No, it was mostly just Luffy being Luffy then Ace and Sabo scolding him for doing just that.

Usually it was 'negative' screams but now, it was more like 'positive' ones. The freckled one had been rubbing Luffy's hair for a few minutes now while Sabo was simply cheering happily.

Why? Because their little brother finally got himself game.

And that game was the girl named Nami who Luffy had been 'crushing' on but he didn't know. The two had been together after the Silver Bell Ball, more specifically, when they were alone in the balcony and had a second round on their confessions.

Truly, Luffy felt the same towards her but didn't know it because, well, he was Luffy. His innocence always get the best of him but that didn't change the fact that he had landed two separate kisses on her already, but including the one on her forehead when he was drunk, that would make three. And Nami only scored one.

He told his brothers that - except the thing when he was drunk because he had no idea what happened during that time - and they were very surprised; Luffy was the one on the lead and they told him to keep it that way. Sabo aporoved because, currently, Koala had more score than him.

"It's great that you finally are together," said Ace. "I won't get the wrong idea anymore."

"Hey Luffy," Sabo's voice was a bit serious and his eyes were shadowed for some reason. "tell me you're dating to marry her."

Luffy blinked. "Huh?"

He didn't like the sound of marriage. Even before Hancock was asking him to marry her during those two years, Luffy always disliked the idea of it. Yes he knew what 'marriage' was and he wanted absolute freedom when he grows up; that's his dream. To be the freest person in the world. But considering now, marriage? In the future? With Nami?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it's her.

Luffy flashed a toothy grin at Sabo's question. "Yup!"

Tears began to form on the two boys' eyes. Their little brother was all grown up now, and they were undoubtedly proud.

======

NAMI AND NOJIKO sat opposite each other on the dining table though they weren't having dinner. They already finished it and the younger one had done the dishes, so they have time to spare. And she decided to tell her sister everything that happened at the Silver Bell Ball, including that.

That event that almost made her faint. She didn't say or thought of it during that, but she felt she was dreaming when Luffy told her his feelings. Well she knew about it during their time at the library but hearing him confirm it and reassure her, with the same - if not more - sincere choice of words, it surely felt unreal. Especially because it came from Luffy's mouth.

Nami breathed deep as she averted her gaze. "We're dating."

Those two words were enough to make Nojiko squeal as if they had won the lottery. Her arms were raised up high and she stood from her seat while her voice rang along their house.

"Yes!!! Yes!!!!! I knew your feelings were mutual," she said as she sat back down. "by the way, do your friends already know?"

"Erm...."

======

A WEEK OF Luffy and Nami communicating telepathically had passed. They were following a deal to not tell their friend of their current status yet, not until she was ready. This was simply because she didn't how the others would react and it might affect Luffy's insight on their relationship. That fact scared her, she almost regretting saying yes.

But she didn't. She never regretted it. Nami knew this was coming; this was part of the consequences of dating a friend.

"I don't get it," Luffy started as they made their way to the rooftop. "why do we have to act differently? We're still friends, right?"

She nodded and held his hand. "Of course we are. That's why we're telling them now: to stop acting so different around them. I mean, I want to cling with you when they're also there, you know."

"Are you sure you didn't say 'beat me up'?"

"Do you want me to?"

Luffy chuckled and landed a peck on her cheek.

Nami quickly blushed. "S-Seriously...when did you learn to become like this?"

"I dunno, my body's telling me to do so. You didn't like it...?"

"Wha-of course I like it...it's just, you know, a bit embarrassing."

"Embarrassing?"

Nami didn't get to answer because they have reached the rooftop; their hands were also free from each other's reach as they stepped into the light. There was Zoro and Sanji arguing behind the four timid ones - Usopp, Chopper, Robin and Jinbe - while Franky played on his phone. Brook was laying on his back for some reason.

Seeing them, Nami took a deep breath. This is it...

Sanji let go of Zoro's collar upon sensing Nami's presence with a noodle dance but, when he noticed her stature, he stopped midway to her.

"What is it, Nami?" Chopper asked the orange haired girl standing in front if them beside Luffy.

"Everyone...I'm sorry to keep this from you, but..." she glanced at Luffy. "Luffy and I...we're...w-we're dating."

Sanji dropped to the ground. "W-Why..."

Usopp's and Chopper's eyes were widened at Nami's news but Brook simply laughed. Franky's attention was also successfully stolen so he stood there, bombarded. Zoro simply clicked his tongue.

"Nami..." Usopp facepalmed. "you...you shouldn't have wasted your time."

"E-Eh...?"

Jinbe chuckled. "We already know."

"What?! Since when?!"

"Since Luffy slipped his tongue during math class a week ago. Remember?"

This time, Nami turned to her boyfriend, her face red from embarrassment. Then she noticed Sanji sulking. "Then why is he..."

"Because you confirmed it," Zoro sighed. "you know this idiot wouldn't believe Luffy."