Chapter 17: The Parting

"Help...."

NAMI WIPED THE newly formed tears in her eyes as she breathed, feeling the wind softly brushing against her face. And, as if on cue, however, she sensed a presence of a certain someone behind her. She turned around while she calmed herself down; as much as possible, she had to avert her attention from 'them' to 'her'.

"Luffy?"

The raven haired boy had his hands inside his pockets and Nami could very well see his eyes even though shadowed by his ever-messy mane. The hat was long abandoned, for the wind made it fall behind the back of his neck by the string. Luffy remained silent as Nami kept a strong yet doubtful gaze, though how ever she tried to look determined, she knew he would know what she was actually thinking deep down.

She felt like crying so she swallowed before speaking, "What are you doing here? Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?"

She was talking about the past few days, when she was obliging him to stay away from her as much as possible. Apparently, what she didn't know was Zoro actually told him that same thing but the reasoning? Bellamy coming into the detention room they were once in along with the other Supernovas. But of course, being the same guy he had always been, Luffy wasn't able to connect the dots.

"Yeah you did,"

Hearing his voice in an nonchalant tone, Nami exhaled a mouthful of air. Angrily. "You never listen to me! I told you to back off, right?!"

"Yeah you did,"

"Stop saying that!" this time, Nami had turned away from him. "Luffy...is there anything I can do for you to let me go?"

As weird as it may seem to him, he actually felt the inside of his chest clench for some reason. At first 'his instincts' sensed someone prying on them but the more he observed Nami's façade from the behind, Luffy came to the conclusion that it was just her that was causing it.

Nami slouched, letting her arms dangle across the railings. "Luffy...will you hate me?"

He hummed.

"Will you hate me if I...if I started hating you?"

The most logical answer was 'yes' but that didn't cross Luffy's mind. "No. You're still my friend even though you don't want to be."

Nami felt her cheeks warm up out of embarrassment. Of course, she would always be his friend no matter what. She then remembered how she was fooling everybody else around her as of the moment, for she still had this deal with Bellamy regarding 'her' and she never told them about it. Probably Zoro and Robin already knew about that but they simply refused talking. After all, to spill the beans was up to Nami and not them.

The orange haired girl pursed her lips as she felt Luffy walking up to her side. Not wanting to show an ounce of emotion, she inhaled sharply and stared blankly ahead, not minding the wind that was literally touching her eyes.

Nami turned to him, their eyes finally meeting. "I'm glad you consider me as your friend."

He kept a blank face but he was feeling worried and uncomfortable. Everything felt like a déja vû; he recalled the time when Nami desperately cried for his help regarding the gang from two years ago and how he mindlessly came to her rescue.

Luffy blinked when Nami started reaching out for his hand that was on the railings, but instead of going straight for the dorsal side, it landed just above his wrist. She cringed a smile. "Thank you."

She backed away and started heading to the door, and Luffy was left dumbfounded. The wind was still blowing hard. Everything looked like moving in a slow motion; he watched as Nami walked all the way further amd further from him as he felt something odd. His instinct was telling him to go after her, for something told him that it was the last time of them talking. At least, in a friendly manner.

Thinking to hell with it, Luffy ran towards Nami but it was already too late; the orange haired girl was now out sight.

===

"Bellamy!"

NAMI FLUNG ANOTHER set of doors open, causing everybody inside the senior lounge to turn to her. She was ready; the last part of their deal was her gathering the required amount of Beris to buy off her sister's safety. It was the exact same thing that took place two years ago with the gang, but Nami made sure that it was easier the second time around. She was older and smarter this time, after all.

The dirty blonde haired senior emerged from his couch. "Miss me already?"

"Shut the frick up," she huffed and walked inside. "I did what you asked."

He hummed with a sly grin.

"I-I...I already told Luffy to stay out of our – my – way,"

Now that's an exaggeration. She didn't even get to tell him what she really wanted to say but she hoped that the little 'hate' statement got to his head.

"You did?" Bellamy raised an eyebrow. "Did you tell him that you're not seeing them anymore?"

Her expression darkened. "W-What?"

"Come on, Nami-san." he inched near her. "Isn't that part of the deal?"

"No! It wasn't part of the deal!"

Bellamy sighed, "Shame. Then I guess the whole thing's void..."

He brought out his phone, preparing to call his superior to take out Nojiko who had no idea what her sister was dealing with. Nami breathed. "Wait! Stop!"

"Hmm?"

"I...I'll do it," she muttered.

"Nami, you know I hate the mumb–"

"I said I'll do it," the girl firmly replied and brought out her phone from the inside of her pocket.

Beads of sweat started forming on her forehead as she headed to the corner of the room where there were no students at all. There, she composed a message and sent it to each of her nine friends, telling them to meet her at the rooftop. Pretty sure Luffy was still there, for it hadn't even been an entire hour since their encounter there.

Moments later, she received a text from Jinbe. "Is everything all right? We're already here."

Nami prepared herself, mentally and emotionally. She opened Luffy's contact on her phone and started recording her voice mail.

Please forgive me for being unable to say farewell to you all directly...