Chapter 48: According to Plan

A/N: This is meant to be an interlude (that's why it's short) but it foreshadows the next chapter quite well, if you'd ask me.

======

"Eh?!?!?!?!?!"

NAMI'S EYES WIDENED at Luffy's answer to her question. Never did she imagine him asking her out. No, it was nothing like asking her out to a date. It was more like having her accompany him to a certain event with the hopes of getting to know her better. She shook her head a few times as what he said finally sank in.

Luffy was asking her to go with him to a party on the weekend. Of course, if it was some normal party, Nami would have said 'yes' but it wasn't. When she found out it was a formal one, her reaction was kinda like Sabo's but minus the annoyed mood.

The two of them were walking behind the others to class, in a manner that they looked like a clique which they weren't. They simply were a group of friends with all the freedom they had but of course, they were still kids.

Anyway.

"I-I can't possibly go with you," Nami stammered as she walked. Why was she even nervous in the first place?! It wasn't like her to act like that towards Luffy; she thought she acted way out of character but she would fix it soon.

"Why not?"

"Because," she paused. "it's a formal one. And isn't it your brother's party, in the first place?"

"It's actually my dad's but since he's not going, he told Sabo to go."

"Ha?? Your dad???"

"Yeah. I know right?"

She gulped. She didn't remember anything about hanging out while not in school so she thought for a while.

"Sorry but I can't,"

"Oh, Luffy!" a blonde haired man appeared in front of them. "You're coming, right? Right? Ace brought Isuka as well, so it will be great if you bring one of your friends."

Luffy replied, "I am taking one of my frineds but Nami doesn't wanna go."

"Eh?"

"Oh...is that so?"

Nami nervously chuckled as she grabbed Luffy's shoulder. "I-I want to go, I really do, but I can't. Luffy said it's a formal party, so..."

Sabo closed one eye as he grinned. "Dragon-san will be the one paying for everything."

Beri signs appeared in Nami's eyes as she heard that. "Really? Is that true?"

The strawhat-wearing guy shook Nami to wake her up from her trance as he glanced at Sabo, who was chuckling at the scene. "Is he really?"

"Yep. Didn't I tell you?"

"So then..."

"Yep. I will be going," Nami firmly replied with her fist rolled. "if I don't have to pay for anything, it shouldn't be a problem."

And with that, things were starting to go as the two older brothers planned. The 'Cat Burglar' had taken the bait.