Chapter 19: News Flash

HOMEROOM. NAMI CHOSE the seat further away from Zoro's as she thumped her bag on the desk, shutting her eyes tight before sitting down. The room felt silent but not with awkwardness, but with anticipation. This morning, just before the bell had rang, the P.A. had made an announcement for the entire student body to gather at the amphitheatre at recess. Nobody knew what the sudden order was all about. Except for Nami. She knew very well what it was.

The two morning classes went on quick and by the time Nami had looked at her phone, it was time for recess. Yet, instead of heading to the cafeteria to try and meet up with her ex-comrades, she went straight to the senior lounge.

"Finally, you're here." Bellamy went near her, handing her a paper bag.

She raised an eyebrow both in disgust and confusion. "What's this?"

"A little welcoming gift,"

She shut the door behind her and walked to the couch as she brought out what was inside the bag. "Uhh...thanks?"

It was a sports jacket with a, what it seemed to be, jolly roger crossed out by a crucifix. Nami gulped and looked at it one last time before Bellamy instructed her to wear it over her uniform. She did just that, not caring about it at all.

Nami had a blank expression on her face since she entered, and it didn't wear off even after wearing the jacket. She stood up from where she was and Bellamy was quick to grab her wrist.

"Going somewhere?"

"Aren't we supposed to head to the amphi?" she retorted, her voice firm yet annoyed. "And by the way, you're laying off my sister right?"

"About that..."

"We had a deal!" Nami blared.

"Calm down, Cat Burglar. I'm honouring our deal so yes, I'm keeping my hands off of her. However..."

Her pupils shrunk upon hearing the continuation of what he had said. "You..."

"What, I didn't say anything about letting you go after the deal? Of course I didn't. You never asked,"

Nami brought out the staff and gripped the middle tight, extending it and only stopping a few inches away from Bellamy's face. He didn't holler; in fact, he even swatted it away as if it was nothing but a hindrance.

"I hate you,"

He hummed.

"I hate you with every fibre of my being!"

"Hey!" he grabbed Nami's chin. "I don't want you doing anything dirty. That's not my style. What I want you to do is...give me all the stuff you learned from Weatheria during those two years."

"What?"

"Our boss is interested in learning the climate of the country. Pretty sure something's coming up,"

Of course. The higher up, Donquixote Doflamingo, one of the Seven Warlords of the Academy. He was responsible for the physical well-being of the school, as well as the structure of systems inside. He was one influential man despite being only a year 12.

Whatever for Bellamy, or Doflamingo, needed her knowledge of weather for, that she didn't know.

"That doesn't make any sense," Nami puffed her cheek. From any angle she looked at, giving someone her knowledge of weather was pointless even for an infamous warlord like Doflamingo. That said, she simply breathed and averted her gaze. "What's in it for me?"

"I'll ask him but make sure you comply or else,"

She clicked her tongue. "Fine."

Meanwhile, all the students were gathered in the amphitheatre with th exception of Bellamy, Nami and a few others involved in facilitating the sudden 'event'. Nami's ex-friends sat quietly next to one another in a row, with one seat empty between Luffy and Zoro. The latter scratched his head as he turned to Luffy.

Apparently, Luffy was not sitting quietly at all. He was anxious; and that's a first for him, and it was all because of a certain orange haired girl who sent them a heartfelt message. Though that made him almost smash his phone to a million pieces, it was no doubt the others got the idea. Except for Luffy of course.

Usopp yawned. "What are they gathering us for?"

"Who knows?" Zoro replied, just before Sanji opened his mouth, as his vision was then directed to the empty seat on his left. He may not be the smartest but her missing might have something to do with all the happenings.

Brook took a deep breath, "I wonder if this involves–"

Franky and Chopper was quick to cover his stick and bones mouth. "Shut up!"

Jinbe, on the other hand, was simply observing what was happenimg around them; students chatting with one another, speakers getting fixed, curtains getting draped. Everything seemed normal to him. But not the fact that Luffy looked so...troubled. He also noticed the vacant seat beside him which, he guessed, was reserved for Nami. And of course, Jinbe was right.

"It's taken!" Luffy blared to a random student who had happened to run out of seats.

The seven of them turned their heads towards Luffy, who was looking begrudgingly at the standing student. The latter was blinking out of confusion and probably fear, so Zoro decided to butt in.

"Sorry but this seat is taken," he spat the last word as if he was saying Sanji's name. Robin added, "I think there are still a few at the further back."

The student apologised and walked towards where Robin had instructed as Luffy crossed his leg over the other, his eyes shadowed by his hat. Zoro didn't bother to ask him what was that all about; he'd have his chance later.

Or so he thought.

"Students of One Piece Regal Academy!" the acting headmaster spoke through the microphone at the stage, his voice blaring out the speakers inside the amphitheatre.

The next words he said were easily forgotten once one of the seven warlords, Donquixote Doflamingo, came to the stage from his seat. He had a pink fluffy coat over his undone uniform, with the trousers folded a few inches up his ankles. The soles of his designer leather shoes clicked against the floor as he made his way to the stage, catching everybody's attention. Even Luffy's.

The 'Heavenly Demon', Donquixote Doflamingo, received a round of applause once he finished his introductory speech. Not that he needed one; he was already super famous, nobody at school wouldn't know who he was.

Robin was unkept. Somehow she sensed what was going on and, not wanting to let everybody see their friend on a rampage, she stood up. "Luffy, can you come with me for a sec?"

Despite his bad mood, Luffy agreed and nodded firmly, Robin tagging behind him as they headed outside the amphitheatre. She was careful not to let Luffy catch a glimpse of who's behind the curtains on the stage.

Inside the amphitheatre, however, their other friends were in a terrible moment. Not that they're in danger, but they were having a hard time taking in what was happening right before their eyes; an orange haired girl, wearing a blue sports jacket, speaking her heart out.

"WHAT?!" familiar voice behind the circle of friends blurted out. "Nami-senpai is joining Bellamy?!"

Nami, who was reciting a loyalty speech on the stage, had her eyes travelling all over the amphitheatre. She could see her sister in one of the seats on the front, not looking at her. That hurted her, but at the same time she was glad that Nojiko was not watching her pull off the hilarious thing she was doing as of the moment. Somewhere in the middle she caught a glimpse of Jinbe, next to an empty seat, and Zoro who was also the same. Luffy and Robin were nowhere to be found. She may not be their friend anymore, but Nami very well knew that Robin took him outside to keep him from seeing Nami's fraudulent act.

She ended her speech with a thump of a foot; from humiliation, not pride.