Chapter 29: The Day That Was

NICO ROBIN WATCHED as the orange haired girl groggily woke up from her snooze that lasted barely two hours. She was lying on her stomach and had a smile on her well chiselled face as the other girl shuffled, sat up and rubbed her eyes. The stone she used to fall asleep easily fell to her lap.

Nami had a rather weird dream. She was a kunoichi, a female ninja, who specialised at stealing. But no matter how good she was at doing that, she failed at the only task that 'Shinobu' had asked her.

All told, the dream felt like a simulation more than an actual dream.

It was exactly 12 midnight.

Only a few vehicles could be heard outside, probably of those who just came back from work, and there was no light inside the room but the bulb that Robin had left switched on. She could fall asleep anywhere and anyhow, so she couldn't see the issue of leaving the lights on. Besides, it didn't bother the sleeping beauty earlier on her nap.

"How was it?" Robin asked Nami, who seemed to be looking for her phone. She tossed a few pillows and slightly messed up her bedsheet.

Nami winced. "Don't ask." she tossed the stone to her which Robin caught. "By the way, did you even sleep?"

Nami was completely awake though she couldn't shrug off the dream she just had. She then turned to Robin who was not even holding the stone on her hands. "Try it,"

"No, thank you."

"What's wrong?"

For some reason, Robin felt weird whenever she touched the stone, so she just left it on the mattress with none of her skin in contact. Nami shrugged and laid down on her bed once more.

Then images from her dream came flashing like signals in a crossroad. Mostly, it was an image of Luffytaro smiling at her. But she remembered: she gave that red kimono wearing samurai a peck on his cheek.

Nami squealed.

"What's wrong?"

"N-Nothing..."

Robin chuckled, "Is it Luffy?"

"What?"

"Come on. Don't shy away from me. If you don't tell me right now, I will find out. One way or another."

Nami comically sweatdropped; Robin sounded scary, especially with the soft smile she was showing her.

But things aside, Nami was sure about what she was feeling for Luffy. She had pondered on it long enough that she even surprised herself that she actually felt that way. So, with that in mind–

"I'm sure you've thought about him a few times now," the black haired girl stated. "I mean, everyone thinks about the people they love...right?"

Nami nodded.

Robin simply giggled. "In my opinion, you two would make a great couple."

"E-Eh...?!" the orange haired girl stammered, her face now as red as a tomato. "W-We're not– I-I'm not–"

"I'm just stating my opinion, Nami. And the moment you acted that way, I already know the answer to my question."

Nami facepalmed albeit softly. How could she be so...careless? Especially when the ever observant Nico Robin was right by her side? With that being said, Nami gave out a long sigh before speaking. She had to tell someone about it and right now was the chance. Well, Robin might have an idea about it or two but it's still no match for the power of one and only truth.

Her cheeks were bright pink, deepening to red at times, while she told Robin how she really feels about Luffy. She told her what she liked aboit him. She also told her that they have been on a couple occasions together alone and as a proof she showed her the 'prize' that he had won for her back then. And that prize was resting around her left wrist, along with the gold bangle her sister gave to her some time ago.

"Hmm..." Robin hummed and looked up. "so you two went out already?"

"It's nothing like that, I swear..."

But something didn't make sense.

"Luffy's not a drinker, yeah? Then how the hell..."

Nami but her lip. Would she tell her? Would she tell her that she herself took care of the drunk Luffy that placed a kiss on her head that time? Would she tell her that she also gave him the same treatment right after?

"W-Well..."

She said it. Nami told the entire story, and Robin was beyond surprised. Her cerulean eyes were widened, blinking.

The navigator ended her story with a simple "I'm actually gonna ask him to the dance..."

Robin silently gasped. She wasn't gonna tell Nami, but Hancock already went and got the title.

"That's...cool,"

Nami raised an eyebrow, confused. "Is something the matter?"

But Robin just shook her head with a soft smile on her face. "No. I'll just see what happens if you do."

"Why do I feel like it's a bad idea..."

Was it really a bad idea? To think that Nami would actually ask out Luffy for the upcoming dance was still surprising. But Robin knew that her good friend here had her feelings pure.

Come what may.