𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲

Warnings: dark, profanity

Words 1109

◉‿◉

Asleep

Tyler shut the door swiftly as routine, a semi-muted tsk sound following, letting Tyler know he successfully closed it. However, this time, he didn't care if it was closed or not. He was going to leave any second now anyways.

"Jenna! Hurry, please. The siren is about to go off and we can't be late." Tyler yelled from the front door into the small room they called their bathroom. The door was closed, but from the crack beneath the door, Tyler knew she was in there.

He began to grow anxious as he checked his watch. Fear spread through his chest, erupting a stinging sensation in his bones. If you were ever late to the Dema Head Count, every Saturday, 3:30 PM, you would get sent to the your head district bishop to have the word 'late' burned onto your back to let everyone know that you were late.

Tyler didn't necessarily fear himself getting the burn, but feared his wife getting the burn. She was pregnant and he feared the agonizing pain of the burning hot metal being pressed against her skin would harm not only her, but the baby as well.

It seems pretty easy not to be late, doesn't it? Well, it's not. The Tower of Dema, also called Dema Hall, where the headcount was held, was a 10 minute walk, and that was not easy for an 8 month pregnant woman.

Luckily, Tyler figured a way where he could drag her there with ease. Well, not actually drag her. He sacrificed his only pillow case, a cutting board, and all four of his wheels from his office chair to make a somewhat easy way to roll her down the street.

As you can tell, they weren't stocked on items they needed, they rather had an abundant supply of useless crap, and only just enough of useful items. The bishops said it was a lesson to all of the city that you have to fight to take what you want, and earn what you need.

Jenna came prancing out of the room, stressfully looking for her shoes. "I'm sorry. I fell asleep, and the alarm clock didn't go off, and I know those are excuses but-"

"Jen," Tyler put his hand on her forearm, his voice gentle and calm. "Don't stress, okay? Go outside and wait for me, I'll find your shoes."

Jenna nodded her head, the worry still roaming around in her blue eyes. She quickly made her way to the door, opening it and waiting outside.

All of the houses in dema were like apartment complexes, or motels. All your house consisted of was a small kitchen to the left when you walk in, a bed on the right and in the corner was a door that lead to the bathroom.

All the other accessories such as a laundry room was all located downstairs as a community laundry place. As said, it was a lot like apartments.

Now, if you walked for about 20 miles, you'd reach the other side of dema which held mansions, and restaurants. However, that side of dema was only for the bishops and their families. None of the locals could even step foot on that side of dema.

Tyler quickly shut the door behind him, dropping her flip flops on the pavement. She slipped them on. As if right on cue, the siren rang through the city, and every door's hinges squeaked at once as everyone began to rush their way to the Dema Head Count.

Tyler set down the small homemade wagon, and helped Jenna to sit down on the wooden cutting board surface, before he grabbed the pillow case and began to pull her towards the Dema Hall.

The second siren, which was blown for anyone who might not have heard the first one, rang into their ears, which tickled their eardrums the slightest bit to how loud it was.

◉‿◉

• Awake •

Tyler abruptly woke, as an alarm sound flooded through his ears. He looked around, scanning the room for any sign of Jenna. He then realized the alarm sound was the repetitive beeping of the microwave. Jenna must be awake, cooking something.

Tyler uncovered himself from the blanket, the air's aggressive cold breath nipping at his hairy legs. He quickly walked over to the open window in his room, shutting it closed.

Jenna would get heatwaves at night, so they tended to leave it open so she wouldn't sweat to death under the covers. Today was quite chilly.

He scratched his head, looking off into space as he tried his best to regain awareness of the world around him.

What a weird dream he had. He had never dreamed of such a place. Honestly, the dream seemed like a nightmare. It seemed as though he was living in hell. Luckily, he was awake now, and most likely won't have to experience a dream like that again. He never had reoccurring dreams.

He looked down and checked his watch, his eyes widening at the sight of 9:20 AM.

He dashed for his closet, picking up some random shirt and his normal black pair of jeans. He sat on his bed, pulling at his skinny jeans quickly to slip them on, while also trying to run a hand through his unkept bed hair. "Jenna! We're late!" Once his jeans were on, he grasped his shirt in his fist as he dashed down the stairs. "Jenna!"

Jenna immediately lifted her eyebrows in shock as she checked her watch. "Damn it! I'm sorry Ty, I wasn't paying attention, and I thought we had time-"

"Jen," Tyler looked at her impatiently. "Just go upstairs and get dressed."

Jenna nodded, waddling as fast as she could up the steps, as Tyler flung his shirt on and buttoned it up.

He finished up the scrambled eggs that were on the burner and ate a couple bites before sticking them in a plastic container and putting it to the side so Jenna could eat it in the car.

They had a birthing/parenting class to attend in 10 minutes, and their destination was at least 15 minutes away.

Tyler normally wouldn't care about this, but he didn't want some random person, who thinks they know everything about parenting, seeing him and Jenna as irresponsible. No one wants that, especially whenever you're expected to be a parent soon.

As Jenna made her way down the stairs, she began rambling off apologies. "I am so sorry. I should've payed closer attention to the time-"

"It's alright, Jenna. Let's get in the car and go." Tyler helped her down the last couple steps before ushering her out of the door.

◉‿◉

Tyler's version of Dema is totally different than my version. I hope that's okay, I wanted to make it my own in some sort of way.